chapter 14

After the rice was done, he put on the pot with oil and left it to hot, he minced the vegetables then looked back at the minced fish. He picks up the eel then fries it piece by piece, Le Yan gets up then advises his brother in law to rest because he is pregnant and this can be stressful.

Jing Sheng with the insistent advice of both the old lady and brother-in-law had to sit and let brother Le finish the cooking…

Chen Jianyu walks in and rests his head on his mommy's tummy, Jing Sheng smiles then gently pats head while rubbing his back. The old lady Chen laughs.

"Ah Yu is mother's little baby, but when your little sibling comes you won't be the baby anymore" the old lady Chen teases.

"Nuh uh, Jianyu will always be mommy's baby" 

"Nuh uh, such a cute child certainly cute" she repeats.

Jing Sheng laughs as the little one pouts, "Mother in law, you shouldn't tease baobao too much" 

"Yes, yes, don't want the little one to be angry at this old lady!" 

All of the laughs at the old lady comments, it was a rare joyous moment in this stressful time. When Le Yan was finished, Jing Sheng got up and shared some food for the household and guests. He shares an extra large bowl for the people at old lady Chen's house though it wasn't much. 

He covers the bowl then ties it with a tablecloth to keep it warm. He looks behind to see the old lady Chen and Le Yan digging in, it's as if someone had three gold coins in the middle of the crowd. 

He pours some water in some cups and passes it on the table for the two children and guests. Jing Sheng likes to feed people and he loves to see hungry hearts full. 

Jing Sheng sits down with a bowl of food to eat, it was a pleasant meal. 

"Mother in law, brother Le, please slow down, the food is going nowhere," Jing Sheng said gently.

The old lady and brother in law were ashamed, they showed such an unsavoury style to the young children. 

"Sorry, sorry, we must have hurt your appetite" the old lady apologies

"No, no, I fear you might choke at the speed that you were eating," Jing Sheng said.

The old lady blushes embarrassed, "aiya, I guess this old lady isn't to old that she couldn't receive scolding at her age" 

Jing Sheng chuckles, the two had continued eating this time at a slower pace. 

After they were all finished, Le Yan then washed all the dishes. As it was getting late Jing Sheng gave them two large bowls, one containing rice and the other containing minced fish with vegetables. Since the eel was mostly distributed to the kids there wasn't much to the share. 

"Thank you, thank you very much, I'll try to repay you very much!" The brother and the old lady said. Bowing.

"No need, we are family and I'm sure my husband would do the same" Jing Sheng feels awkward. 

The old lady Chen looks to boys, "come here boys, give me a hug before we go" 

The walk towards her then hug her, she leans over to Chen Jinhai's ear then said. "Take good care of your mother, he's in a very sensitive time where your little sibling could be born anytime. If anything happens could be the smallest thing, don't be afraid to visit this old lady" she ease back smiling.

"Yes grandmother," Chen Jinhai nodded.

"Good boy, very good boy" she praises. "Well this old lady should part ways now, I shall send Le Yan down to meet up early tomorrow" she informs.

Jing Sheng smiles, "yes! Enjoy the rest of your day!" 

As the two figures fade Jing Sheng looks down at his children, "why don't I start teaching you boys a little more before it's bedtime" Jing Sheng informs.

"Yes, mother" 

"I don't like it, it's hard," Chen Jianyu complains.

"I'll sing songs, to make it easier," he said.

"Okay" Chen Jianyu pouts.

Jing Sheng wants to teach them to read and write from a young age so it's easier for them to be educated. While Chen Jianyu shows distaste towards learning and loves to play like any other child, Chen Jinhai was more obedient and preferred to learn. Maybe because he was older and was more aware of the situation he didn't see the purpose of playing which saddens Jing Sheng a bit. 

He hugs both of them, leading them inside to teach them. Jing Sheng had old books he didn't sell but he'd have to buy some papers, brushes and ink. He sighs that the requirements just keep getting more and more. 

.

.

.

.

The old lady Chen finally reached down to the cottage and enters the house only to be greeted with an upset old man, "old wench, where have you been?!" 

The old lady Chen looks at his son in law and nods as he sneaks past the old man, the old man was about to stop him but old lady Chen stops him. "Why are you blocking me?! Move!" 

"Children! Sister in law, come, there is food" 

"Brother in law where did you get food from?" Chen Ming asks looking at him.

"I got it from brother's wife" he informs.

He was ready to hand the small child a dish, but grab it back when Chen Ming hand swig between him and the child. 

"Brother in law!" 

"You dare take food from that dirty gent!" He yells. 

The old man Chen ran in, "what's going on?!" 

"Dad, this person took food from that dirty gent!" Chen Ming informs.

"How dare you bring such a thing in here?! Throw it out!" The old man orders.

"He will do nothing such thing! The children are hungry your wife is pregnant and you can barely feed us! Jing Sheng with the kindness of his heart offers us food and send some to the children and we should throw it out of this old lady's dead body!" She yells.

"Pei! I won't eat anything from that whore!" Old Chen yells 

"You bite your tongue!" 

"Hmph!" 

The old man storms out the room, he was too weak to argue compared with the old lady Chen who is with a full stomach and energy. 

Ai Liling walks in, wondering what the complaints where about she was feeling hungry and was dizzy from the lack of nutrition, her husband was barely able to give her any good sustenance and the child in her belly has been fussy barely giving her any chance to sleep leaving her dry on strength and energy. 

"Ah Ling come sit, Ah Yan share some for your sister in law" The old lady helps her take a seat as she held her rounded belly.

"Ah Ling don't eat it!" Chen Ming barks.

"Boy! Your wife is on the bring of starvation and you dare tell her to not eat food when it's here?! Shame on you!" The old lady scolds her son.

"Mother!" 

"Quiet! Can your pride feed you?! Can it be eaten?! Eat it! But I won't let these children starve!" 

Chen Ming puffs marching out as Le Yan shares the food individually. 

Seeing all the child digging in and eating, tears came at the old lady's eyes. "Thank you Ah Sheng thank you so much". 

A/n

Thank you guys for reassuring me on the reasons for not commenting I'm glad you like it and appreciate it 😊

This will be the last update this month I update 3 chapters this month because it was one chapter last month on the last minute. I'm trying to schedule myself on a consistent updating period, I'm barely managing but cheer me on.

See you next month love you all.