chapter 11

"Jianyu eat your vegetables," Jing Sheng said gently.

Chen Jianyu pouts, he then picks out some of the vegetables then eats. He can't be picky with food plus he was very hungry, he slurps down the vegetables as he chews smiling. 

Jing Sheng smiles seeing the cute child happily eating, he looks at Chen Jinhai who ate without complaining. Chen Jinhai had a more mature expression on his face while eating which made Jing Sheng think he is very cute.

After a pleasant dinner Chen Jinhai didn't waste time in taking up the bowls, scraping the scraps and placing them in one bowl covering it then washing the rest. Jing Sheng did not judge, instead understood that this was a rough time for the boys and it was good that Chen Jinhai was aware of the situation they were in. 

Jing Sheng feels proud of his maturity, as he sits and thinks of solutions for their issues.

At first he thinks selling the fish bait is a good idea, but ultimately in the end when everyone is fishing it will become a problem and people will be less likely to buy fish since it's easier to catch. This will lead more people to fish themselves than buy which would make less consumers for fishermen who live off selling fish. So Jing Sheng will sell the bait but at a high price to strictly fishermen, he will also fish himself and sell fish in the market. 

So that's a two way income or at least a temporary one. He'd like to buy a shop in the long run but for now it's about survival and getting the children in good health. 

He also wants to open a shop in the market, after getting some good income. This house needs fixing and some other things, he also looks at his enlarged stomach with a frown. If only he could give birth sooner he is due this month so it's most likely sooner than he thinks. 

If this baby in his tummy survives he might need goat's milk, but how much will it cost?

As Jing Sheng calculates the expenses they will need, Chen Jinhai looks at Chen Jianyu.

"Is your tummy full?" 

Chen Jianyu smiles brightly, "yep!" 

"Well, I'll prepare some water for you to bath" 

Chen Jianyu pouts looking down, "I don't want to" 

"Well you will," Chen Jinhai said as he rolled up his sleeves. 

He then walks up closer behind Jing Sheng and rests his hands on his shoulder and gently squeezes. Jing Sheng was startled for a moment before looking back at the eldest child.

"Jinhai?" 

"Your shoulders must be stiff, please relax. I'm not as good as dad but still i want to help" 

Chen Jinhai was very close to his father learning all his mannerisms and behaviours. He was very fond of him and was his role model so it was natural he would pick up the things his father did.

Chen Jianyu smiles then runs around to Jing Sheng's tummy, he looks up towards his mom. "Can I talk and play with my little sibling?" The sweet boy asks.

Jing Sheng smiles then puts his palm on the boy's head, "yes bao bao" 

Chen Jianyu smiles then puts his hand on Jing Sheng's tummy rubbing it. "Hello little one, it's me again Jianyu your big brother, I can't wait to actually meet you" 

Jing Sheng smiles, children are so innocent and cute. "Today we ate fish and vegetables, since you're in mama's tummy you must have tasted it right? Well it was made by our big brother, my big brother and your big bigger brother" the young child explains.

The family of three stayed like that for a while as they listened to the cheerful voice of the young one.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Far away in the southern lands hidden behind large Boulders and trees, there were dark tents and set camps with small barely lit fires.

Within one of those small tents a man sits up with a stick in hand drawing characters against the floor. The man had dark wild hair that was pointed out like spikes, his eyes had dark circles and the clear tiredness was visible, the man was still in a used armour that seems to barely have strength for resistance, his clothes were dirty and the place was foul with stench of body odour and blood. 

The man carefully drew the stick down, he could barely see but he didn't care. The man in the tent next to him sigh, "young man, you should sleep while you still can" 

"..." the man said nothing as he kept with his strokes. His attention "Jianyu's birthday has passed, Jinhai's birthday has passed, Jing Sheng's birthday has passed. I have so many gifts to find, Jinhai wanted his own bow, I wanted to give Jianyu his soldier toy… I must buy books for Jing Sheng" the man mutters.

The other man in the tent sat up sighed and looked at the man mumbling bizarrely. He was warned by the others they said he was weird but he doesn't think he is that weird.

"You think they will care much for gifts if you don't return alive? I have a daughter and wife I've left behind rather than worrying about giving them gifts I'm worried about returning alive". The man adds.

Then the man, who is Chen Chuanli pauses, then slightly turns his head. "I must return, my family needs me" 

Chen Chuanli continues to stroke the stick into the dirt, within the ground there were characters for three different names. Thinking about them Chen Chaunli smiles, but he frowns wondering how they are doing. 

Chen Chuanli knows his wife is smart so he will find a way so he too must work hard and return home. The other man shakes his head then lays back in the camp bed.

Soon there was a loud bang off the brass gong and a loud shout, "WE'VE BEEN INFILTRATED!!!"

Chen Chuanli on high alert grabs his weapon and runs outside.