chapter 18

_________________________________________chapter 18

The sound of battle cries could be heard in the rainy wet wastelands, blood flows like a river as men get cut down in this fierce battle.

Fighting, they all are. Though they are fighting all for different reasons. Fighting for their lives, fighting for their country, fighting for honour and glory, fighting for peace, fighting for family.

Everyone has their own reasons, some may share the same goals, some may not, but they all know they must succeed in order to reach their goals.

A sole man desperately trying to survive in this brutal war, his body on alert. He didn't know martial arts but training day and night he learned, just so he could return to his family.

As he feels the two men rushing up behind him, he hurries to slash the one in front him then duck dodging the swords and cutting them at their ankles. The two men fall back as he raises to finish the final blow, but there is no time to rest as he cuts through the crowd that feels like an ocean.

Many had family just like him, many probably didn't want to be here just like him but even so he can't be deterred from his goals.

Numbing his heart and aiming straight to the goal.

He was being both cautious and reckless at the same time, he was a man with a goal to achieve it. Cutting down who stands in his path.

"AHHH!!"

Even faced with many enemies his heart did not waver; he has a home to return to.

The enemy shivers facing this unknown man, he was fast and swift like wild rabbits running, he was strong like a vicious bear in the forest and most of all his eyes were deadly like a venomous snake.

Chen Chuanli could see some of these men were hesitant, sometimes even men can tremble like children. He'd be scared too he went through in human training and recently their hideout was attacked all he has to do is keep learning and keep adapting.

"Ah Li is so cool you can learn so quickly, you might be a genius. I hope our son becomes like you"

Chen Chuanli could hear the smooth voice inside his head, he misses him so much. He misses his children.

Not wasting time he strikes first the men tremble but attacks, from a distance on the horse a man smiles watching the male he could see that this battle for them is a win.

But the male that resembles a furious beast had piqued his interest, but no time for lazing around slashing men down as he intersected the war letting out a battle cry with the rest of the men following.

Chen Chuanli tried his best to move out the path of the two sides so as to not be trampled or cut down, but in the moment of distraction an enemy tries to take the opportunity. As Chen Chuanli faces him, blood splashes against the floor. Chen Chuanli drags his sword out the enemy's neck then staggers back.

*Huff*Huff*

Chen Chuanli breathed heavy breathes as he held the left side of his bleeding face, covering his eye. He removes his hand seeing lots of blood on it, can old see out of eye making him equally more on edge.

Feeling the ground shaking he ran out the way as the men on horses came, it was too troublesome to fight next to horses.

The man on the horse smiles at him, as he cuts down the enemies. The battle had continued on for a long time, Chen Chuanli didn't know how long this long time was but as soon as he heard the battle cries and he saw the man on horse cry out in victory displaying the severed head of General he felt he was getting closer to his goal. But he wasn't that close yet, his hair flowing in the wind as he looked at the severed head of the man and the joyous smiles of the men on the battlefield.

While everyone feels joy at the victory, he looks down as he feels someone touch his foot. It was a young boy 16 at most, blood running from his mouth already fatally injured. He was a boy from the enemy empire.

"Mo-ack! Mother... I... I'm sorry..."

Choking up blood, his face falls to the side with eyes wide open, Chen Chuanli stoops down and uses his hand to close his eyes. He probably killed more than a few he doesn't know. But is that something to cheer about?

Chen Chuanli looks at the crowd again, what's there to be happy about?

He is a hunter, he understands the philosophy of necessary evil but he will never understand the glory of war. They aren't rabbits needing their meat to eat or bears needing their skin to make clothes. What are we fighting for?

War takes more than its gain, but yet again and again people create wars.

Snapping out his thoughts he looks up to the man on the horse approaching him, he stops in front him. Observing this man from head to toe his armour was embodied in riches, recognizing the dragon emblem he bows on one knee with head face down.

"Your highness!"

The man smiles, "you look sad, do you feel happy about our victory"

"No that's not your highness, this lowly one is just tired" he said.

"Aren't we all?" The prince observed him but kept calm, "well okay then, what's your name, who are you and where are you from?"

"Chen Chuanli, I'm a simple hunter in Chen village, your highness" he answers firmly.

The prince gazes at him as if thinking deeply, "a hunter? I see, General Bai"

"Yes, your highness!"

"See that this one taken care of"

"Yes your highness"

The prince turns away leaving as the general gazes down at Chen Chuanli strongly. The young man was a mere hunter but the way he moves one would think he kills for a living. It shows the great potential this young man has. It would be good to have him by the side of the prince.

A/n

What song would fit this chapter?

How are you liking Chen Chuanli's side?

See you next month