Chapter 3.6: Conspiracy In The Shadows Are Always Shrouded In Mystery

Spacequakes, an enigmatic occurrence known to only a few, with the timing of its triggers eluding even someone as intelligent as myself

Spacequakes, an enigmatic occurrence known to only a few, with the timing of its triggers eluding even someone as intelligent as myself. Humans aspire for intelligence, yet they remain unaware of the challenges that come with it. Achieving greatness prompts a cascade of questioning.

Though I habitually measure my success against others, I find little satisfaction in comparison. Regardless of my actions, success seems inevitable, breeding jealousy within my circle. Yet, none of this envy hinders my relentless pursuit of achievement, and failure remains an unfamiliar taste. As I alluded earlier, heightened intelligence prompts incessant questioning. Why do I unfailingly succeed? Why has failure eluded me?

Even those lacking in intellect sense something amiss. Despite being human, imperfect by nature, I stand as an exaggerated figure in mankind's awareness. The unknown phenomenon unfolding around me prompts self-doubt. Am I truly human?

Nightly, curiosity denies me rest. I yearn to unravel the truth, to witness the hidden secrets of the world. Will understanding the mysteries of spacequakes, the peculiar events in Tengu City, and more shed light on my own predicament?

My pursuit of truth, driving me to become a detective, takes an unforeseen turn. The adage holds true, curiosity indeed proves perilous on my journey to uncover the unknown.

*****

"Do you believe you're the sole wielder of the Indomitable Instinct?" As seconds pass, my heart quickens. "Our date has only begin. So, demonstrate your strength and end me with your most powerful blow."

Do I experience fear, or is it anticipation? When was the last instance I sensed this foreboding emotion in my heart? I believed it was forgotten, yet as I recall, the flames have undeniably reignited.

<Lieutenant, can you hear me?>

<Loud and clear.>

I have my pride as one of the strongest.

<We will going all out.>

<Pardon?>

Anyone who dare to insult me will face my full retaliation.

"Show me the strength of the former Adeptus." With a hint of mockery behind her mischievous smile, I replied, accepting her arrogant challenge.

"As you wish!"

From the surface, I soar high up at the opponent's direction to close the distance to my fighting range. In response, the Shinigami did so as well. I'm aware that I'll be the one on the receiving end if ever our blade clash midair, thanks to the laws of gravity, making her attack heavier than it should be. With that in my mind, I made a bluff charge, calculated the exact pinpoint, and at the right time, instead of facing it head on, I evaded her attack few centimeters away from the tip of her blade. I barely did it, but that was still not enough to cement the results. Shinigami had her own set of surprises as well.