BOOK ONE-Prologue

A/N:
Hi guys!! A lot of people have read the original of this book (like a lot), but I'm rewriting all my books (or at least this series) bc the original was full of spelling errors, cringe, a terrible and cringe Y/N and my writing has just overall gotten better! So if you have come from the original and just want to relive the adventure, welcome back:) I'm excited to have you back on this journey! And if you're new, welcome and I'm excited to have you here:) If you're here from the original, it'll have the same premise as the original but dialogue and scenes may be different and stuff!! So with that, have fun reading:)

YOUR POV:

The sun was high up in the sky and the blazing heat had affected many people outside going on strolls. The small village of Tallulah didn't have many residents and was over all, not a well know village.

A small family owned shop is where I work, Sweets & Breads is the name. It's a village favorite, people stop by all the time to order home made sweet treats and bread. I live in the village with my mom, my older sister named Ram, and my younger brother, Shoku. My dad is not present in my life.

I stood behind the counter, a white apron over top my clothes as I rested my cheek in the palm of my hand. My best friend, B/N was sat on top of the counter with no care in the world. B/N and I have known each other since we were four and she's always been there for me. "Y/N, when can you come over and have a sleepover?"

I shrug, "I don't know. I work everyday so that's something you'd have to bring up with my mom."

The bell that's above the shop door opens to reveal an older woman. I smile, "welcome to Sweets & Breads! What can I get for you?"

"I'll have a sweet bread."

I nod and walk over to the glass cabinet that contains our pastries and breads. I had been working with my mom and sister at our shop for a while now. I honestly love it but there are days where I wish I could just go out and be a kid.

I grab a brown paper bag, and a sweet bread and place it into the bag. I then fold the paper bag so that it does not spill and walk back over to the counter. I ring the woman up and she gives me the money, I hand her the left over money back and she's gone.

"Hon?" I hear a familiar voice call behind me.

I turn around to see my mom standing in the door way, "yeah?"

Her hands are behind her back tying the white apron she's wearing, "it's time for your break."

"Break?" I hum, "what break?" Getting a break is rare.

"You've been working so hard everyday. You deserve one," she explains.

I shake my head, "I couldn't possibly."

"Well we're out of butter, so think of it as a trip to the market," she continued.

"Sweet!" B/N exclaims as she jumps off the counter, "we can go out on the town!"

"Oh, uh, okay. Let me put up my apron." I mutter as I untie my apron and pull it over my head. I then place it in the back and walk out of the shop with B/N.

B/N and I head to the market and buy the stuff we needed. Butter and sugar for me and candy for B/N, by now the sun was starting to set. "I don't know how you can eat that knock off candy."

"I wasn't raised on homemade stuff so I think this tastes fine," B/N states, "have you ever even tried it?"

I shake my head, "no. I don't need to know cuz I know it's gross."

She shrugs, "your loss." She places a hard candy into her mouth before her eyes widen for a moment, "oh that reminds me that the Hunter's Exam starts tomorrow!"

"Hunter's Exam? What is that?" I question.

"You don't know what it is?!"

"No...should I?"

"Of course!" She sighs, "let me explain: the Hunter's Exam is basically a place where a lot of people go to preform really hard challenges. I've heard that people die each year it's hosted, and on top of that the percentage rate for first timers is super low. But Hunter's can do anything they want and get access to a lot of stuff!"

"That sounds like a lot of fun."

"Did you miss the part where I said you could die?!"

"Yeah but I think it would be fun. I mean, my life is the same everyday. I wake up, eat, work, sleep, repeat," I explain, "I think I'm going to ask my mom if I can take it this year!"

"You're insane. Anyway, I gotta head off. If I go into your shop tomorrow and I see you're not there, I will find you and beat the sh*t out of you. Anyway, bye!" B/N waves and rushes off toward her house.

I return home a bit after B/N leaves, I put up the groceries while my mom closes up shop for the day. My sister comes downstairs inspecting the kitchen, wondering if supper had been made yet, to which it hadn't.

Supper doesn't take long to make and within an hour we're seated around the table eating.

"Ya'll hear about the Hunter's Exam starting tomorrow?" Ram asks as she takes a sip of her drink.

"Sure have. Don't tell me you want to take it..." my mom trails off looking over at Ram expectingly.

Ram shakes her head, "no! Ew, why would I ever do that?"

"Actually, uh, about that—," mom and Ram look over at me, "I kinda want to take the exam this year, if that's okay."

My mom chokes on her drink while Ram's eyes widen, "are you crazy?! Do you want an early grave?!"

My mom begins to cough, "Ram, voice...down. You'll wake up your...brother." She coughs some more before continuing, "Ram is right though, it's dangerous."

"But if I take it and pass, with enough money, I can help out the village, our home and our shop," I explain.

"Y/N..." my mom trails off, she glances down to her plate and then back to me, "if you truly wish to take the exam...then you may."

My eyes widen, "really?!" My mom nods as I stand up, my chair squeaking against the floorboards of the house loudly, "thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I rush over to my mom and hug her tightly.

My mom lightly laughs, "yes, yes, you're welcome. Now eat your food before it gets too cold."

I nod and go back and sit down. "Ram, do you know where the exam is being held this year?"

"Zanban City I think."

I smile brightly, "then that's where I'll be tomorrow!"