The Finale

A/N: LONG CHAPTER it's literally 4k good luck anyway, how ya'll lovejoy/wilbur fans feeling after finding out he's abusive?? Stand with Shelby<3 also stream Overcompensate by twenty øne pilots ok onto the chapter:))

YOUR POV:

Don't tell me all eyes will be on me during this exam. I think to myself as I glance at everyone in the room. The room we stood in was large and definitely appeared to be for fights like what we were (probably) going to do. There were Hunter's off to the side (all those who helped create this years exam), men wearing suits on the other (who I could only assume were referees) and lastly us and the chairman.

"I hope you all rested well. The Hunter Exam Selection Committee runs this hotel and this place is yours until all battles have concluded. For the final phase, it will be a one on one tournament." The chairman explains as one of the suited men roll out a board covered by a sheet.

The chairman rips the sheet off to reveal the one on one battles. "All you need is one win to pass. The winners will be removed from the competition while the loser will continue up the brackets, in other words, the person who finishes at the top will not pass."

"So one person will fail?" Hanzo asks.

"Yes. And so, here are the brackets." The chairman pulls of the large paper covering who is against who, and much to my relief I was up against Killua. "Everyone has two chances to win."

"But some people have multiple chances to win."

"Why not use a balanced bracket?"

"This bracket was based on your performance throughout the exam. In short, those who preformed better received more chances." The chairman explains.

"Can you explain how you scored our performances?" Killua asks.

"Nope!"

"Why not?!"

"Your scores are classified. I can, however, explain our methods. First, we considered three basic categories: physical strength, mental acuity and overall impression. For physical strength, we use an aggregate of agility, flexibility, endurance and perception. For mental acuity, we use an aggregate of resilience, adaptability, judgment and creativity. However, we were most concerned about overall impression. This refers to any factors that can not be categorized. You could consider this as your potential for becoming a Hunter." The chairman explains.

I glance away from the chairman and at the board, that explains why I'm put up against Killua. They don't see any potential in me.

"We also incorporated the opinion of your peers. Anyway, the rules are simple: weapons are allowed, no cheating and if your opponent admits defeat then you win. However if you kill your opponent then you are immediately disqualified. Are we clear?" The chairman asks only to be followed by silence, "good. Let the final phase begin!"

First up was Gon and Hanzo.

A referee steps forward, "I will be the referee for this fight."

Hanzo looks at the referee, "oh good to see you again."

"Hm?"

"You were following me during the forth phase. I'm assuming that an examiner tailed each applicant during the phase."

Someone was following us...?

"You have my thanks. My rank was higher because of what you reported. But I do have a question for you: we can only win if our opponent surrenders right? That doesn't count if they're unconscious yes?"

The referee nods. "Yes. Now then, begin!"

Immediately Gon makes a mad dash behind Hanzo, however he sees the attack coming and mirrors Gon's movements. "You're fast on your feet. I'll give you that."