Chapter Five

"I will not ask you where you came from

I will not ask you, neither should you

Honey just put your sweet lips on my lips

We should just kiss like real people do"

-Like Real People Do by Hozier

POV Noah

I am such an idiot. 

I had Ryland here, in my hotel room, in my bed, and I let him walk out the door. I didn't even say anything. 

The sex was great. It was fucking fantastic. I haven't felt that good in a long time. And I just let him leave. No words, nothing. As I said, I'm such an idiot. 

Realistically, I know that there was nothing to do. He lives in Dallas, I live in Boston. Plus, I can't let anything get in the way of basketball. Ryland would just be a distraction. If I want to play to the best of my abilities, I need to refocus on my game. 

I decide to turn in early tonight, eager for my flight so I can get home. Being back in Boston always seems to make me more in tune with my sport. I just need to be back in the training center. Yeah.

I get up at 6am the next morning, and I shower, check out of my hotel, and head to the airport. I try not to think about Ryland or yesterday, but its kind of difficult when you're sitting in the back of a taxi in traffic and the driver is not-so-discreetly taking pictures of you. 

The day does not get better, much to my dismay. Security takes forever, and I'm just in a bad mood all together. 

"What's go you so depressed, dude?" Rocky says as I take a seat at the gate. I mumble something about not sleeping well, and I see Paul glance at me but I purposefully look the other way. I'll get over it once we get to Boston. 

I decide to walk around and stretch my legs before we get on the flight. At least I'm in first class so I'll have more leg room. 

I decide to buy a coffee to help keep me awake, and as I'm waiting for my name to be called, I swear I see Ryland, only for a second, but it's probably just wistful thinking.

My name is called, and I grab my coffee and head to the gate for boarding. I see Paul frown over at me, but thankfully we get called to board so I get to avoid that conversation. I scan my ticket and put in one earbud while I walk down the jetway. My seat is 5B, so I scan the seats as I walk until I find mine. I got a window seat, but that also means someone will have to be sitting by me. I take a deep breath, inhaling the scent of stale air and disinfectant, before I look out the window. It's starting to lightly rain. Wow, the weather is really matching my mood today. I can hear Via talking about something to her mom a couple seats over, and I send a silent prayer asking that she doesn't start crying during the flight. I close my eyes while more people board, until I hear someone sit in the seat beside me. 

"Hi, I'm-"

"Ryland. Hi," I say, finishing his sentence. His mouth is hanging slightly open, and I'm sure my expression is mirroring his. So it was him I saw at the coffee shop.  Is this guys stalking me or something?

"Are you stalking me?" I say, narrowing my eyes. Ryland just looks at me for a second before he bursts out laughing. 

"Me? Why the hell would I be stalking you? I mean last night was fun but that's a little unreasonable," he says, still laughing. 

"I just... you were at the same bar as me! You went to the same coffee shop, same flight, same seats right next to each other," I start explaining myself, but it just seems to make him laugh harder. "Forget it, sorry. I'm a little paranoid."