Chapter Thirty-One

"Yeah, you held me the whole way through

When I couldn't say the words like you

I was scared indigo but I wanted to

And I don't wanna talk about anything

I don't wanna talk about anything

I wanna kiss, kiss your eyes again

Wanna witness your eyes looking"

-anything by Adrianne Lenker

POV Noah

My phone is blowing up with messages but I don't stop to check them. I'm already in my car and pulling out of TD Garden anyways.

Ryland would never text me like that unless he really needed something.

Coach is probably pissed at me for leaving the interview. It's not like it was that important, just the generic post-game questions, but it's the principle.

I can't bring myself to care too much, though. When Ryland sent that text, I didn't even think twice. If he needs me to be with him, I'll go. Fuck anything else.

I screwed up once with him, it's not going to happen again.

I probably go a bit over the speed limit in my rush to get to Layla's, but I don't care. Once I pull up, I jump out of the car and knock on her door.

Ryland pulls it open, and immediately I notice his red-rimmed eyes.

"Hey sweetheart," he says, attempting to grin. I can see right through it and I immediately step inside and take his face in my hands.

"What's wrong?"

"My dad..." Ryland says and then stops.

"Did he do something to you?" I ask, immediately remembering all the shit he's told me.

"He died." 

There's a beat of silence while his words sink in.

"Oh," I say. "God, Ryland, I'm so sorry."

A tear slips out of his eye and I wipe it away with the pad of my thumb.

"What do you need from me? Anything baby, just tell me."

He sniffs once and then pulls my hands down from his face. "Please just take me home?" he says looking up at me.

I nod and keep his hands clasped in mine as I pull him towards my car. I open the door and guide him in, placing a kiss on his forehead before closing the door. I get in the other side, and I pull out of Layla's driveway and begin the drive home.

I keep glancing over at Ryland, but he just keeps staring out the window. It's so quiet in the car that I can hear every one of my thoughts. I reach over to take Ryland's hand but he doesn't even notice until my skin makes contact with his. He jumps a little, as if I had just woken him from a dream, but then he turns his hand upwards so that I can link our fingers together.

When we finally get back to the house, Ryland gets out of the car and starts walking inside. I follow behind, not really sure what he needs from me right now. My parents may not be my biggest fans right now, but I can't imagine either of them dead.

Once we get in the house, Ryland heads the kitchen. He starts pulling out the ingredients for...a sandwich?

"What are you doing?" I ask.