Chapter Thirteen

"And if you start to kiss

And the record skips

Flip it over

And sit a little closer"

-Lover's Rock by TV Girl

POV Noah

As we pull up to Paul's house, I can see Ryland's leg start to bounce. I think he's nervous. I don't know why, but I find it endearing. After I park, I take his hand in mine. 

"Stop stressing," I say. 

"Me? Stressing? I don't know what you're talking about! I'm as cool as a cucumber!" I smile at that and Ryland groans and says, "Sorry, I've just never met someone from your world who knows about us." 

"Paul's chill. Plus, they're leaving pretty soon after we go in."

Ryland smiles slightly at me, and I let go of his hand. I instantly miss the warmth, but this neighborhood is always crawling with paparazzi. I don't want to risk some trashy tabloid getting an incriminating photo of us. We walk to the door, and I knock, hearing Ryland take a deep breath as the door opens. 

"Ryland!" Via says, running out and hugging Ryland's legs. He leans down and picks her up, giving her a full hug.

"Hi kid," he says, and I hear loud footsteps coming down the hallway.

"Vienna May Redfield, what did I say about opening the door?!?" A frazzled looking Marianne says, as she opens the door wider. "Oh, Ryland, Noah, hi!" She says, and he smiles at her. We follow her into the house, and Via is still in Ryland's arms talking a mile a minute about some animal show she saw on TV. 

"ohhhh and there's this fish who can talk, which is silly, but he watches all the little mermaid kids, and-" I tune her out and focus on Marianne, who is adjusting her earrings in the mirror.

"Ok, so we should be back by 9, but I'll let you know if anything changes. She's already had her snack for today so she just needs dinner around 5:30." I nod, and she turns around to face me, opening her arms in a ta-da gesture.

"You look great," I say, and I'm not lying. It's Paul and her's anniversary, so she's dressed up in a dark blue dress. "Paul's a lucky man." Marianne just laughs before calling for Paul.

I look over and see that Ryland set Via down on the counter, and she's still talking excitedly. "Daddy got me a soccer ball, so you should teach me how to play! Right now!" She trys to jump off the counter, but Ryland grabs her before she can fall. 

"Let's wait for your parents to leave and then maybe we can," he says, setting her gently on the ground. She grabs his hand and pulls him in the direction of the living room. Paul comes down the stairs a couple second later, and links his arm through Marianne's. They're about to walk out the door when Marianne says something about a forgotten purse, and she rushes back up the stairs. 

A second later, Via comes back in the room, still pulling Ryland by his hand. She stops in front of Paul and says, "Daddy, tell Ryland that I'm allowed to play soccer in the house."

"And why would I do that? You know you aren't allowed to play any sport in the house. We have a whole backyard for that exact reason," Paul says. 

Ryland puts out the hand that's not in Via's grasp, and Paul takes it. "Hi, nice to meet you! I'm Ryland."

"Paul. I watched you play in the World Cup, you're pretty good." I see Ryland blush at the praise, and he says thanks before Marianne comes rushing back down the stairs.