Chapter Twenty-Four

"And all the fears you hold so dear

Will turn to whisper in your ear

And you know what they say might hurt you

And you know that it means so much"

- Duvet by Bôa

POV Noah

As the game starts, I feel more invigorated than I have in a long time. All I have to do is look over at Ryland in my hoodie, and I feel a burst of pride and energy run through my veins. 

When I first looked over at him, I saw Via sitting in his lap. My brain stopped working as I took in the sight in front of me. It was so easy to imagine that this could be my future. Ryland would be there, our kid in his lap. 

"Your heart eyes are showing," Paul says from next to me. I look away from Ryland and stick my tongue out at Paul because I'm very mature. 

The starting whistle blows and we're off. I'm on my game today, and within the first couple of minutes I score an easy layup. The first half goes by in much of the same fashion, and my team is leading pretty easily. I can't believe I ever thought that Ryland was making me play worse.

At halftime, my team is in high spirits. Coach gives us a quick talk, and then he lets us loose for the remaining time. I join Paul and follow him to see Via and, by extension, Ryland. Layla and Marianne seem to be in a pretty deep conversation, so Ryland brings Via over to us. He leans over the railing to hand her to Paul, and sends a wink my way. 

He rests his hands flat on the railing and I clasp my hands together and set them in between his. It's risky, us being right next to each other, but Via gives us a little bit of an excuse to be this close. I reach my pinky out to brush his and he looks over at Via before wrapping his pinky around mine. I smile and look over at Via and Paul too. 

"Via, what do you think of the game so far?" Paul asks. She shrugs.

"It was like every other one, but a bit better because Ryland let me stand on his lap so I can see!"

I look over at him and he just shrugs with a smile on his face.

"Is that so?" I say, "Maybe he needs to come to every game. So you can see of course," I say and Ryland just chuckles.

"Ooooo, yes, yes, yes!" Via exclaims. I grin and look over at Ryland as she starts talking to Paul again.

"You're playing really well," Ryland says, and I can feel myself blush. I wrap my pinky tighter around his.

I glance around, making sure no one is looking before I lean in and say, "maybe it's because there is this super hot guy in the stadium who looks-" I take a pause and look Ryland up and down. "Very good in my jacket." Now it's Ryland's turn to blush. 

"He sounds nice. I'd love to meet him sometime," he says with a grin and I just laugh. I feel so incredibly happy to just be here with Ryland. I know I'm cheesing like an idiot but I can't help it. I feel a tap on my shoulder and I look to see a young girl holding a jersey. I quickly untangle me and Ryland's fingers, and we both move to create a little distance. I try not to think about how much I miss his warmth.

"Hey there, what can I do for you?" I say, plastering on a smile. She asks for an autograph and I happily oblige. I love my fans, and I'm always happy to do something for them. I make small talk with her for a little bit before she says thank you and walks away.

I glance over at the scoreboard and see that there's only a few minutes left in halftime. I sigh and look over at Ryland. 

"Go," he says, as if he can read my mind. I offer him a half smile and Paul hands Via back to Ryland. Via waves at us and Ryland wishes us luck before walking away. I probably stare a little bit too long at his retreating form as I hear Paul chuckle next to me. I elbow him in the side as we walk back to the bench.