Chapter Seven

"'Cause they see right through me

They see right through me

Can you see right through me?

They see right through

They see right through me

I see right through me

I see right through me"

-The Archer by Taylor Swift

POV Noah

Today is our first game back in Boston since Texas. I'm nervous, not only because the playoffs are coming up, but also because Ryland will be watching. We've been texting back and forth ever since the airport, and he said that his sister has a watch party any time the Celtics play. He said he doesn't usually watch basketball, but something has motivated him to tune in. I definitely didn't blush when I read that. Definitely. 

I'm at the training center early. No one else is here so I have the whole court to myself. I start running through some drills, dribbling and shooting. Dribbling and shooting. I like the routine of basketball, its keeps me focused. It's easy to get lost in your own head, especially when there is a certain green-eyed guy on your mind. And he always seems to be on my mind. 

I sink another three before I hear a ding and pull out my phone.

Ryland: how are you playing Texas again??? did y'all not literally just play them

Noah: texas has three NBA teams

Ryland: damn

Noah: all of them suck tho

Ryland: hey Im a texan, watch ur words there buddy

Noah: I thought you didn't care about basketball

Ryland: well I don't

Ryland: but I still have pride for my roots

Noah: sure

Ryland: ARE YOU QUESTIONING MY PATRIOTISM????

Ryland: I literally play for team USA

Ryland: I have the spirit of America running through my veins

Noah: ok buddy, calm down

Noah: texas still sucks

Ryland: jojo, have you learned NOTHING???

Noah: what

Ryland: have you never seen dance moms???

Noah: no

Ryland: this is an issue

Noah: why?

Ryland: oh you poor, clueless boy

I'm about to respond when I hear footsteps behind me. 

"Who's got you smiling like that," Paul says. I hadn't even realized I was smiling. I quickly put my phone back in my pocket.

"Nothing. Come shoot with me."

Paul shoots me a look but I choose to ignore it. I need to focus on the game today, and I can't do that if I'm worried about what Paul is thinking. We are playing the Spurs, who are seeded pretty high, so it won't be an easy game. 

"Something is up with you," Paul says after grabbing a ball. 

"I don't know what you mean," I say taking a shot. It sails over the backboard and I wince. That probably did not help me point. 

"C'mon Noah. You might have everyone else fooled, but I know you," He says. I try to walk away, and he stops me, putting a hand to my chest. "I know you. As much as you want to act like I don't, I do. Something is different." 

I push his hands off me and walk to get my ball. I can't deal with this. I'm not different, nothing has happened, nothing has changed. I'm the same as I've always been. Noah Chambers, basketball star, heartthrob with a serious demeanor. I'm no different than I was before texas. I'm no different than I was before Ryland. Nothing is wrong. I can still win us games. I can still do that, so nothing is different at all.

"Noah, stop for a second!" Paul says, grabbing my ball from my hands. Now, I'm just getting irritated. 

"No, Paul, you stop. I'm doing just fine, nothing is different." 

"Noah, I'm not accusing you of anything. I just want you to tell me what's going on! Ever since Texas, you've been acting differently. Not in a bad way, just different. You're always texting someone, and I just want you to talk to me," Paul says. I hadn't realized I was doing anything differently. 

"Really, Paul. There's nothing going on." I just want him to drop it so we can keep practicing. 

"Are you sure?" Paul says, giving me a small smirk, "not some special lady in your life?"

I know he's trying to lighten the mood, and I appreciate it. I do. I even give a little snort, but it still feels like a gut punch. One word, that's all it takes. Because, the truth is, I have found someone special. I like Ryland. He makes me blush and laugh and smile, and I want, so badly, to be able to tell someone all about it. I want talk about his smile when he's excited or the way his lips look after I've kissed them red. I want to talk about his jokes and his secret smirks, and the way his eyes crinkle in the corners when he laughs.

But, I can't. Because I'm me, and he's him. Because he's a him. 

Suddenly, I feel trapped in the gym, like a cornered animal. I feel like the walls are closing in on me. I can't be here right now. 

I mumble an apology and some excuse I can't remember to Paul, and I leave the gym. Once I'm in my car, I lay my head on the steering wheel for a good five minutes. Then, I do the only thing I can think of, I text Ryland.

Noah: can I come over? please

Ryland: sure

Ryland: u ok?

Noah: fine

Noah: what's ur address

He sends the address and I start driving. I feel like I'm on autopilot. Paul's words keep ringing in my head. What would happen if I just told him? Just came right out and said, "Actually, there's this guy...." I don't know if I even could. At the end of the day, I'm a coward. I can't even tell my best friend. 

I park the car and walk up to Ryland's apartment, and it strikes me that we've never been to each other's places before, but I'm still too preoccupied to think about it much. I need...well I don't know what I need, but I don't want to be alone. I knock on Ryland's door.

A/N: Super short chapter, kinda angsty. It's not a proper story if it doesn't have some good ole' relatable angst. I had different plans for this chapter, but this is what it turned out to be. 

Next from Rylands POV, and then the actual game from Noahs POV. Assuming I stay with my current plan. 

Thanks for reading!