Chapter Sixteen

"My only one

My kingdom come undone

My broken drum

You have beaten my heart

Don't want no other shade of blue

But you

No other sadness in the world would do"

-Hoax by Taylor Swift

POV Ryland

"What the fuck?" I hear Layla say, "I mean, what the fuck?"

I try to maneuver myself so I can see out the door, but I end up almost falling off the couch so I end up calling out, "Who is it?"

She doesn't answer for a second, but then she says, "Ryland, why is Noah Chambers at you're door?"

"Noah's here?" I say. "Let him in."

After a second, Noah walks into the room with a flabbergasted looking Layla right behind him. I make eye contact with Noah and he stops walking. I can see him take a deep breath. I'm about to say something when Layla interrupts.

"Ryland, are you trying to tell me that the Noah in your phone is Noah Chambers?"

"Yes?"

"Jesus Fucking Christ," she says, "how could you not tell me?"

I stay quiet at that. I glance over at Noah and can see that he is getting increasingly more uncomfortable as this conversation continues. I really don't know what to say. It's not that I didn't want Layla to know. Maybe I was just scared. If I told Layla, that would make it real. And I want so badly for whatever this is with Noah to be something real. He's here, in my house, so maybe he wants it to be real too.

"Whatever. We can talk about this later," she says, and I can already feel the guilt gnawing at my gut. I don't want to leave things like this, but I don't know what to say. 

Layla sighs and says, "I have to get back to work," she says casting a disappointed look in my direction. Then she turns to Noah and says, "You're on Ryland-duty. He has a concussion so make sure he doesn't fall asleep. He can fill you in on all his other care." She starts to head towards the door before she turns around and says, "And, believe me, you and I will be having a discussion very soon." With that, she walks out the door. Once it shuts behind her it's just me and Noah. 

I take in his appearance. His hair is messy, like he's been running his fingers through it over and over again. His clothes are all wrinkled, and his fingers keep tapping against his thighs. He looks worried, but still beautiful. God, I think my heart skips a beat every time I see him. 

"Well," I say with a grin, "are you just going to stand there all day?"

I expect him to laugh, make a joke, maybe even flip me off. I do not expect him to just stay there, staring at me. 

"Noah."

He seems startled to hear his name, and he just keeps looking at me.

"Noah, come here."

He walks over slowly, and he sits at the edge of the couch. It's quiet for a while, and he just stares down at his hands. My heart drops. I know what this means.

"Look, if you want to end it, just-"

"No."

We're both quiet again. I'm just confused.