Chapter Twenty

'"And I'm fading, thinkin'

"Do something, babe, say something" (Say something)

"Lose something, babe, risk something" (You're losing me)

"Choose something, babe, I got nothing" (I got nothing)

"To believe, unless you're choosing me"

You're losing me

Stop (Stop, stop), you're losing me

I can't find a pulse, my heart won't start anymore"

-You're Losing Me by Taylor Swift

POV Ryland

I haven't been able to see Noah since the whole ordeal with his parents. He's been busy with his practices and I've been busy with mine. I miss his smile and his stupid jokes. His hair and his hands and the things he can do with said hands. And I'm worried about him.

He hasn't been the same since dinner with his parents. He takes longer to respond to my texts than usual and he always seems busy. Busier than normal. I'm trying not to overthink it, but I can't help but be a little worried. 

Ryland: want to come over later?

Ryland: appa misses you

Noah: sorry can't, got an extra training session

His responses are so quick and to the point lately. Usually he would have apologized 20 times over and then asked for pictures of Appa. Maybe he is just really busy because it's getting closer and closer to the finals. Yeah, that's probably it.

I decide to take Appa to the nearby park to get my mind off of things. It's a little cold so I end up putting on a sweatshirt Noah left at my place. The walk to the park is pretty short and once we get there I let Appa run around a bit. I sit on a bench and check my phone. No messages from Noah. 

I let out a sigh, and I don't realize someone else has sat on the bench until Appa comes bounding over. 

"Oh, he's so cute!" the stranger says, "What's his name?"

"Appa. You can hold him if you want," I say and she picks him up. I get a good look at her. She's probably around my age with long blonde hair and tan skin. She has a dog with her too.

"What's your dog's name?" I ask, and she looks over at me a smiles.

"That's Muffin. I'm Reagan," she says, holding out her hand. I shake it and say, "Ryland, nice to meet you." She smiles and tucks her hair behind her ear.

"I haven't seen you around here before, are you new to town? I would certainly remember someone as hot as you," she says and I laugh politely. I hate it when random people hit on me, but I've learned to just take it in stride. Not much I can do about it anyway.

"Yeah, I moved here pretty recently." 

She smiles again and moves her hand so it's sitting on my thigh. I'm immediately uncomfortable, but she doesn't seem to notice. Instead, she says, "If you need someone to show you around, I'm your gal." 

I laugh awkwardly and try to adjust so that her hand will slip off my thigh to no avail. I want to get out of here.

"Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind. But me and Appa really need to get home," I say, standing up and attaching Appa's leash. "It was nice to meet you."