Chapter Ten

"I remember when I first noticed that you liked me back

We were sitting down in a restaurant waiting for the check

We had made love earlier that day with no strings attached

But I could tell that something had changed how you looked at me then"

-K. by Cigarettes After Sex

FYI: I don't live in Boston, so the like different places are mostly figments of my imagination

POV Ryland

Watching Noah's game was exciting. At least, more exciting than I thought it would be.

At first, I was just eating the different food Layla made and playing with her cat, but after the game started to pick up, my eyes were glued to the screen. 

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew that Noah was a good basketball player. I mean, he is the captain of the Celtics, but it didn't really click for me until I saw him play. His body looks like it was made to move on the court. His brow is slightly furrowed in concentration, and his shirt is sticking to his back with sweat. I wouldn't be surprised if I was literally foaming at the mouth watching him. Not to mention the time he winked at the screen after those two free throws. I think my eyes turned into hearts. 

I also knew, objectively, that basketball can be a rough sport. The game involves a lot of pushing and shoving, and every time Noah ended up on the ground, I felt a little pang in my heart. 

I didn't think I would ever say this, but I'm kind of glad for whatever is going on between Miguel and Layla. I'm almost 100% certain that they are dating and trying to hide it from me. I see them staring at each other, and I hope they don't think they are being subtle when they both go to the kitchen at the same time to 'get drinks', yeah, ok.

But, whatever they're doing, it makes Layla too preoccupied to notice or ask about Noah. I'm thankful because I don't even know what I would tell her if she asked. I put that out of my mind, and focus on some kind of excuse to leave Layla's. The game has been over, and I need to get back to my apartment so Noah can pick me up. I was a little surprised when he asked to hang out, figuring that he would be out partying with his team, but I'm not complaining.

"Hey, I think I'm going to head out, I'm kind of tired," I say, going over to place a kiss on Layla's forehead. She narrows her eyes at me, and I can tell she's about to say something, but Miguel starts speaking.

"All right man, good night," he say. He's probably just trying to get my sister alone, which is so gross.

I'm about to walk out the door when Layla stands up and follows me out. She closes the door behind her and leans up against the porch railing. 

"Spill. And don't say there's nothing to spill because I know there's something up. You never go to bed early." 

Damn it. 

"Why don't you tell me about whatever's happening with you and Miggy?" I shoot back. Layla's eyes widen and she looks kind of like a deer caught in headlights. Now I feel bad.

"Look, you don't have to tell me right now. Whenever you want. But you really aren't as subtle as you think you are," I say with a grin. Layla blushes.

"It's still new, ok?" she says, glancing back in the house. Miguel is laughing with some friends, and Layla smiles.

"I don't care...well, I mean obviously I care. You're my sister, and he's my best friend and it's kind of gross to think about," she gives me a look. "Don't look at me like that! How would you like it if I started dating Clarie?!?"