Politically Incorrect - Chapter 5

Okay, I know this one's a bit short...but i'm a little at a loss, and im trying to see if i can finish something for roiskate's competition, which is proving more difficult than i thought....lol.

Anywayz...enjoy!

______________________________________

Chapter 5

Getting past the paparazzi turned out to be an adventure. Everyone wanted a word with Ian and Christine. I let them stop for one still photo of the two of them together before pushing them along into the club. Once we were inside I pulled off the jacket and handed it back to Ian.

“Thanks, but I don’t need it in here.” I said, with a smile.

“Oh, but, what if it gets cold?” He asked, taking it.

“I doubt it will.”

“Well…if you need it, just let me know.”

“Ian, stop trying to cover her up. She’s allowed to show some skin.” Christine teased him and he gave her a sour look. She ignored him and looped her arm through mine before dragging me over to the bar. I ordered my drink of choice, an appletini, and sipped it casually while sitting at the bar. Ian went over to the dance floor immediately and started flirting with some girls. I rolled my eyes when I saw that they were models. Of course…

I felt myself tense when I saw that Logan was here. Last thing I needed was him following us around. From what I knew of him, and that was a lot, he was good at his job which didn’t bode well for me. He spotted me and took a seat next to me at the bar. I started to drink my appletini a little faster.

“Lana…” he dragged out my name and I pursed my lips in annoyance. “So, this is you working? I like it. Nice dress by the way. You never used to dress up like that for me.” He teased and I shrugged.

“It’s my job to keep tabs on Ian and Christine. What? Did you think I’d go to a club in office attire?” I snorted, repeating what Christine had said to me earlier.

“Well, regardless of the reason, I like it.” He was watching me very closely and I turned my gaze onto the dance floor where Christine was sticking close to a few girl friends of hers. I inwardly smiled: doing well so far. “So, how do you like your new job?”

“It’s fine.” I stated, simply. I had to be careful. I was speaking to a reporter and I had to remember to censor myself. Like I said, he was good at his job and he could twist what I say in so many ways. I finished my appletini and I felt him push another one into my hands.

“On me.” He smiled, leaning closer.

“Heh heh heh…” I chuckled nervously, starting on my new drink.

“You know, I’ve been trying to get in touch with you ever since you graduated. We haven’t seen each other in so long, and I’ve missed you.”

“So I’m guessing that whore Veronica left you high and dry then?” I snapped and he looked speechless for a moment.

“Things ended between us earlier this year, yes.” He explained after regaining his composure. “But, I never stopped thinking about you Lana. You were always the girl I wanted: smart, sweet, beautiful.” He cupped my chin and met my gaze. “I always wanted things to work out between us, Lana.”

“Then why didn’t you try harder?” I whispered, hoarsely. He was bringing up hurtful memories that I had worked hard to forget. I pulled away from him abruptly and looked over to see Christine beckoning me over to her group. I threw back the rest of my drink, the vodka burning my throat. “You made it clear that you didn’t want me Logan. I don’t want to hear your excuses, because I refuse to believe that everything has suddenly changed.” I left him without another word and joined Christine.