Chapter Four

SEPTEMBER 1912

I couldn't find it in time or I'd be filling myself in on what weird shit I had missed, I started muttering yellow submarine by the Beatles. When all our luggage was packed, the ship closed and a loud horn echoed to show we were leaving Russia. I got out the chair and looked at the side. Kiki and Cian were talking and people on land were waving, screaming, and jumping just hoping to see us a little. I heard laughter and spun around as I saw soldiers kissing the Grand Duchesses hands. I looked at Cian and ran straight past him and down to the Tsarina. I will show her affection.

I barged into the room without knocking. "Asty, I told you to-" she paused. "Please knock next time." She sighed. I moved my curly hair out of my face. I decided to sit on her lap, a bit weird because she's dead and I don't know her but she seems cold and distant. I will break the walls she created around herself. "Astrid, what are you doing?" She asked me. I smiled at her.

"Showing affection, mama." I forced out mama, I saw tears well in her eyes. But she straightened up. "Astrid, you are going to crease my dress." She sighed, I turned to her. "You'll change anyway." I looked at her, she had her guard up very well. "You know I love you, mama." I smiled.

"I love you too my star." She said. "You should head back to your sisters now." The Tsarina told me. I slid off her and touched the door handle. "Wait, Star, did you miss me while you was gone?" She asked, I smiled at her, "Course I did mama, I love you so much." I gave her a hug and she slowly embraced me back.

"See you soon, mama." I smiled, she was like the mother I never had. I shut the door behind me and ran onto deck. I saw Cian teaching Kiki to skate. "Beidh mé anseo chun tú a ghabháil, ná bíodh imní ort, creid ach gur féidir leat é a dhéanamh." Cian said softly, I had no idea what he said but it gave Kiki reassurance and she skated around. The Grand Duchesses were happily dancing and the Tsar and Tsarvich was not in sight. Kiki fell asleep on a comfy chair as I looked at the sea.

"Hello Sassa." I heard Cian say, I turned and saw him. I shuffled away from the Grand Duchesses dancing, Cian smiled at me and looked to sea. "Not the one for dancing?" He asked sarcastically, I smiled. Cian reminded me of my elder brother. Cian went off to sit with Kiki and another soldier approached me.

"Hello Madame." He said, I ignored his presence and shuffled away. "You don't like the dancing? A lass doesn't like dancing?" He asked. I nodded. He sounded Scottish, I started wondering why there are either British or Irish people here. "What's your name?" I asked. The Scottish man had emerald green eyes and light brown hair. "I'm Malcolm Campbell." He said. I held out my hand and shook his hand so he couldn't kiss it.

He looked confused but didn't say anything. "May I say something?" He asked. I nodded, concentrating on the scarf I was sewing. "You are the most beautiful out of all the girls,you know that right?" He stated. My eyes went rather wide and I became red. "Thank you, usually people say Tatiana's the most beautiful." I smiled and stuttered. He laughed at me as if I had made the best joke in the history of the world.

"Astrid!" I heard a voice call out, there was the deep blue eyed, light brown haired Maria, she wore a little sailor outfit *see end* and her eyes darted around. "Astrid where are you?" She called, I took my knitting things and speed walked across to her. "I'm here!" I shouted. Maria came running to me, I left Malcolm looking to sea.

"Why were you alone?" Maria asked me, looking worried. "I wasn't, I was talking to Officer Malcolm." I said. Maria nodded.

"Dinners ready."

"Alright."

Maria: