Chapter Nine

Picture: Maria Nikolaevna Romanova

SEPTEMBER 1912

I sat in the small pairs infirmary, searching and heard a loud sharp scream. "How dare you!" I opened the door to see an angry Maria with a dress stained in red as she ran around chasing the giggling Anastasia. I smiled at the prank she did. Alexei was being treated because of one of his episodes. From what I saw, he was the real Tsar of the palace. Never mind the Tsar! (If you know what song this comes from please be my friend) the mood and day depended if he was well. Today he wasn't so Nastya was being more evil to distract people.

I was in the infirmary, looking for my diary and two ladies were helping me. One of them being Ekaterina. Even Cian came to help the search. I was frustrated, the Tsars mother would come today. Maria Feodorovna. If you couldn't tell, it was not going well so far. Alexei was sick and Rasputin was healing him. Anastasia was fooling around. Cian probably has a flu which is bad. I feel sick to my stomach still from Terrence's evil face. I was going to have a session with Rasputin after Alexei.

To be honest, I'm nervous. I don't know who he is and what he could do. The last thing Terrence said to me last I saw him. 'Rasputin is odd. Be aware.' He didn't tell me anything else. I hoped the guards and ladies could watch me. I looked under my bed and saw a pocket, in that pocket was a book saying 1912.

"Found it!" I grinned. They stopped looking. Cian sneezed but covered his face and left. "Slán." He coughed as he left. The ladies took me outside to a bench that I sat on. The granduchess painted. I opened it and saw a photograph sticking out. It was me, Heinz and Margo smiling, that last summer. The big Eiffel Tower in the back. It read 'Paris, France 1980'

My eyes grew wide and filled with water. I felt a tear go down my cheek. I didn't know what was happening. They were real! I'm not schizophrenic! A wave of sadness and relief washed over me. "Are you okay Astrid?" I heard Tatiana yell. I nodded and put the picture in the diary as Tatiana came to me.  "What's wrong darling? Why are you crying?" She asked me as she hugged me. My muscles tensed up. "Don't worry Astry, everything will get better soon." She reassured.

We sat still as Olga was painting us. Occasionally, Tatiana would say something awkward making me giggle and Olga scold us. "Just the finishing touches." She said. Olga then finished and looked at her work happily. "Astrid, Father Grigori is ready." Ekaterina said. I sighed and stood up. Tatiana slowly let go off me gently. I left holding my diary close to my chest.

I went into the infirmary and safely put my diary away. Ekaterina walked me to a small chapel in the palace. She opened the door for me and inside stood Rasputin in priest robes praying in front of Mother Mary. I step in and Ekaterina nearly closes the door. "Please stay." I softly begged. "I'm sorry but from strict orders from the Tsar and Tsarina of all of Russia, I must leave."

I turned to see Father Rasputin standing in the middle near the baptism fountain, staring at me. "Don't be upset, star. We will have a good time." He said creepily. Not as creepy as Terrence though. Him slicing his head off will always be a memory. We began praying at first and doing rituals. I said my prayers and he even held his mass. "Astrid Nikolaevna Romanova, we will be baptising you again." He said. I stared at him. "What?" I asked. He told me to step in the fountain. I did so and I was scared of what he was going to do to me. He told me to get on my knees and my dress was really wet, then I saw what he was doing. he ducked my head underwater.

I didn't hold my breath and the water rushed through my lungs. I wriggles, trying to lift myself up. I couldn't breathe. I got pulled back up. I frantically began choking and coughing. I tried to open my eyes but couldn't, and before anything I felt myself being sucked underwater again. I tried to get out but his grip was too strong, I thought I was dying and my vision blurred

——————

I opened my eyes to Terrence. "Let's do my fathers job and look into your past. They cannnot see you." He said. I thought he would come with me but I suppose he had to do the memory thing.

I saw myself, I looked to see I was playing with a young Grand duchess Maria. Then a lady called out to us. "We are coming Shura!" Little Marie said, she helped little me up and we began chasing each other inside. Like he said, they couldn't see me. I saw Rasputin waiting with the other young grand duchesses and younger Tsarina.

"Come in girls and meet father grigori." Mama said. Maria gave him a hug and little me did the same, but he did something disgusting which would've made me punch him if Terrence's creepy face wasn't staring at me. He touched her chest area and kissed her cheek. Mama didn't notice because she scolded Anastasia. Olga and Maria were talking but Tatiana watched it. Then I saw Mothers face. And then a glimpse of a smiling Heinrich...