Chapter Forty Four

Picture: Tatiana on board the Standart in 1914.

SEPTEMBER 1914.
I sat painting inside our learning room. I had come back from a very long day of conversing with soldiers and this was how I chose to spend my break. Valentina was in the room too, she drank some water. She knew exactly what she was doing as she spent her break doing essentials like drinking water, going to the toilet and other things. I had trouble starting conversations but I made a few friends with the soldiers, they usually introduce me to others. Mila sat quietly near me, working on a knitting project we could donate to charity. I have been very cold towards Mila, but I was yearning of Malcolm's whereabouts as I had not seen him. "Is your wedding still in October?" I asked her out of the blue. Mila was caught off guard at my question. "Yes, that is the plan. Malcolm has ever so bravely gone to the war front to fight, he is such a hero but always makes me worried. But he told me he would come back for a few days so we could get married then! He simply said he could not wait anymore."

I swallowed a lump of bitterness and dislike for the situation down my throat, i told her, "How nice." Then I continued to paint, this was all gifted to me by Cian. Which came from one of his uncles which that uncle gave to another uncle who gave it to Cian. Confusing? Haha... well his grandfathers last wife was his first cousin.. haha... hahah. I was painting Heinrich this time, I had a photograph of the crazy boy in my hand. It gave me unusual odd chills when I thought of my old life and how I realised that I have forgotten many things. Even if I do eventually forget everything of the modern world, Natasha gave me photos so I could remember my old life before this and where I came from. I made a huge mental note to show the picture to Olga, Ci and Cao, Vanya and Zan.

I noticed Maria walked in, i completely ignored her presence as I was still mad she wrote love letters to Prince Edward in my name. Also she sent him a photograph of my picture, that made me shiver in disgust thinking a stranger was keeping it at his bedside table. Maria walked over and sat next to me, I hid the photograph from her sight but continued to paint. "Your paintings are always so beautiful and so very unique." She commented. I ignored her, just out of hatred. What? Family thing. I kept my eyes on the portrait.

"Oh please forgive me my darling sister! I rally never did mean to harm you! I just... thought it would help out!" Maria confined. I wanted to punch her in the face. How did she think this would help out? What in world made her think that I would give her a smile and hug in gratitude from this? I just remained silent. I wanted to yell, burst my anger out at her, but I didn't because I was a grand duchess. And grand duchesses don't yell, they are graceful. I let out my annoyance, frustration, anger, and annoyance through a long heavy sigh.

I stood up, taking the smock off of me. I began cleaning up, talking to Valentina while Maria followed me around the room begging for forgiveness. Vanya gave her a weird look and left. She was pleading and constantly begging that she was sorry until Baroness Sophie, Mama's lady in waiting opened the door and entered graciously and monotonously said, "The Tsarina of All of Russia Alexandra Feodorovna requests the presence of Grand Duchess Astrid." I whipped the rest off the paint off my hands and left the room, following Baroness Sophie, she was very monotone and quite creepy if I was being honest.

She lead me to the closed doors of Mama's tea room. She knocked and once we heard a "Come in!" The baroness opened the door to reveal, Cian side eyeing death glaring someone, Zander sitting on a couch next to Cian who was also sitting down, he looked angry. There was Anna, Mama and.. Rasputin. "His magic voodoo shit doesn't work!" Zander yelled. "Just watch his magic Zander, please." Mama pleaded. My head started to spin, and my heart began racing and I felt the room close in on me. "Astya come, Greet Father Grigori!" Mama ordered as I snapped out of my deep train wreck of thoughts. I walked closer to Mama, i noticed that Rasputin had his piercing blue eyes already on me. I wanted to yell and bowed respectfully. "Father Grigori." I said through clenched teeth angry. "Ah, Astrid Nikolaevna! It has been some time since I had the pleasure of encountering you and Cian and Caoimhe." He smiled. "Shut up." Cian grumbled. I could see straight through his disguise, from the last time I saw him, he did not change much. He had longer facial and he looked a little aged.