Chapter Sixty Four

Photo: Anastasia or Maria, bath time.
Bonus chapter, no pov. Letters.

1918

In one letter, Maria wrote:
"We miss the quiet and peaceful life in Tobolsk. Here we have unpleasant surprises almost daily. Just now the members of regional committee were here and asked each of us how much money we had with us we had to sign off on it. Who would have thought that after 14 months of captivity they would treat us this way? I write to you in semi-darkness as we do not have any light because the windows have been whitewashed. The white color is very unpleasant. It is, above all, bad for Mama because she suffers constantly from headaches."

Letter to her siblings on the way from Tobolsk to Tyumen, April 14/27 1918. When the family got separated.

In a letter to Alexei, Maria wrote:
"It is difficult to write anything pleasant, because there is very little of it here to report. But on the other hand, God does not abandon us, the sun shines, and the birds sing. This morning we heard the church bells, that was the only pleasant and agreeable event. My dear, how I would love to see you. I hope you feel better quickly and start running around again. I hold you very tightly in my arms, my dear little brother may Christ protect you.
Your Mashka."

A letter to Alexei from Maria when the family was separated.

Anastasia's letter to her parents in 1917, new years.

"God bless you, my dear Mama, I wish for you in the new year of 1917 that it brings you happiness health and all good things. Sweet dreams, don't worry.
Your faithful daughter Schwebs. 1960 1917 Tosco Silva.

My golden Papa darling, I wish for you in the new year 1917 masses and masses of good things. Be well, may God protect you. Goodnight.
Loving me. Yours, your faithful and Devoted Kaspiyitz. 1916 1917 Tsarskoe Selo."

The last Christmas letter from Empress Alexandra to Sophie "Isa" Buxhoeveden.

"Alexandra Feodorovna to Sophie Buxhoeveden, 25 December Christmas Day.
Blessed Xmas to you, Isa dearest, and a loving wish and kiss. Above all I wish for God to give you good health, peace of mind Dushevmi Mir which is the greatest gift. We can ask for patience, which we all need in this world of suffering and utter madness, consolation, strength and happiness. A joyful Xmas may sound like mockery, but it means joy over the Newborn King who died to save us all, and does not that renew one's trust, and faith in God's infinite mercy? Prayed for you, and shall again at mass so hard that you cannot go, I so hope, by the side door to another church. The Emperor and all of the children send many a message and good wishes. They share my regret. God bless you! Won't you look out your window and tell Nastinka? When? At once, let's say, and then we can peep at the corner window and perhaps catch a glimpse of you just off the church. God bless and protect you. A loving kiss from your affectionate day."

Letter from Cian to Leo, 1917.
"Everything is going down in Russia. I admit me and Caoimhe saw it coming. The Emperor has been out of interest since the Bloody Year and his nickname is indeed very fitting. It is very hard to find anything pleasant to write about when he [stepfather] is rampaging around in the streets of Petersburg as if he owns the place. He reminds me of our uncle sometimes, as both of them get frustrated very easily! How is everything going on back at home? Our countries have been on two different sides of crazy wars! But recently he has made a peace pact with Kaiser. Enough of my rambling now. I hold you tightly in my arms and wish the best for you. God bless and protect you.
Yours faithfully, your cousin, Cian."

A letter to Leo from Caoimhe 1916.
"Happy New Year little one, and may the odds be in your favour! I wish for this new year of 1916 to bring you peace, joy, and happiness as the twenties draw closer! Goodnight and sweet dreams.
Caoimhe."

Bonus part:

"Did you get all the letters Leo?" A voice asked.

"Yes Mama." Leo answered looking at the letters. "Yes I did get them."