Chapter Thirty Eight

Picture:Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna of Russia, 3rd July 1914.

(This song probably fits with the theme of the chapter)

June 1914
I wasn't sure if me and Malcolm were friends anymore. I haven't seen him around much and we've been here for three days. I met two new people, two people who are coming back to Russia with us. And their countries would have our heads if anything happened to them. Archduchess Valentina of Austria and Prince Zander, they aren't siblings. We were staying a week in Romania, Papà was occupied with Prince Carol and his relatives, having a great deal of fun and not worrying about his son falling and dying, he wasn't worrying about that at all. I have been miserable since my conversation of rejection with Malcolm. At least I think it was Rejection, what if it was just a question? Anyways, I cared for him too much to say yes, it would have never been possible.

My sisters have noticed a shift in my mood and they know it is not from the incident. I told Cian and Kiki everything, they nodded. Cian said sometimes when we were in Denmark I'd scream at the air, and Cian would stand there like 'Are you okay?' Olishka is very observant, she could tell more of why I am not my unusual self. With the excuse of my illness she has been spending her time by my side as an excuse then talking with Carol. I have been more paranoid about seeing the bloody evil Angel again. the feeling made me want to rip my skin off.

Currently, we ladies and children were at the beach. Cian, Papa, Prince Carol and all of the other men were off hunting. Alexei was talking with the young royal Romanian children, my sister Maria was talking with Princess Maria (Yugoslavia). Anastasia was with Tatiana, having an intense conversation. I think. Olga was talking with Archduchess Valentina and Prince Zander and laughing. Mama and Queen Marie sat underneath a tent, drinking tea and keeping an eye on everyone. Of course ladies in waiting and soldiers (both Romanian and Russian) surrounded the perimeter.

I decided to take off my socks and shoes and walk around near the water. There i saw Valentina, sitting down smiling. The warm ocean water felt nice to walk in. I ended up sitting down next to Valentina, who moved so I could sit. "Hello Astrid Nikolaevna." She whispered. "You know?" I asked. She smiled. "So does Zander, I'm Archduchess Valentina. Pleased to meet you." We shook hands. Lili Dehn and a Russian soldier kept an eye on us, making sure I didn't run off like last time. Valentina stood up and waved me goodbye, she walked off to Anastasia who must've lost the debate. I began wondering if the soldier knew Malcolm. It couldn't hurt to ask. "Excuse me mister." I turned to look at him, I was now standing up facing him. He looked over to me, not expecting me to socialise with him. "Yes Astrid Sergéjevna?" He said. "Let's walk together, I have a few questions for you." I demanded. I knew I was the least popular out of my sisters amongst the soldiers but that didn't matter. The guard walked up to me so we started walking together.

"Do you know a soldier named Malcolm?" I asked him. "Miss Astrid, I know many soldiers named Malcolm." The guard said. I sighed in disappointment. "Oh." I forgot Malcolm's last name, I am such a terrible friend! How could I? It was such a common last name I heard soo many people with the last name. I could not remember. "Could you name all of the Malcolm's you know that work on the Standart?" I asked. The officer gave me an unsure look and cleared his throat. "Well there is Malcolm Pölzl, Ivanov, Kuznetsov, Sokolov, Petrov, Popov, Smirnov, Lebedev, Volkov, Morozov, Gusev, Campbell, Anderson, MacDonald, Stewart, Gordon, Scott, Robertson, Cameron, Hamilton-" he began. "Wait!" I cut him off. "Malcolm Cameron." I repeated.

The officers face lit up. "Ah, yes. Malcolm Cameron, a very good fellow. A bit odd though, apart from his very Scottish accent and Scottish words." I raised my eyebrow at him. "Odd?" The officer nodded his head. "Yes, always on their feet. He is always trading duties with the other men, he did extra jobs for them. He always seems very dazed, in his own world." My heart began beating quicker, like it was running a marathon without stopping. He did all of this? But for what? I spoke, "Do, by any chance, you know why he did all of this?" The soldier pondered. "When I was a young man, the only will I had to accomplish these kind of jobs was for the hand of my now wife, Ekaterina."

"Was your wife royalty?" I asked. The man laughed, "Oh, dear child no. It would have been impossible if she was royalty, she is a nurse for the Current Czarina, your Aunt, and for the Dowager Empress." He continued to speak, "My Ekaterina and I are very lucky, we would have been star crossed lovers." I stayed silent, he couldn't have done all of this, for me?

I felt even more guilty, I let him down. But we couldn't have been anything. I can't marry a soldier. 'But your Auntie Olga married one.' A voice in the back of my head said. If he could just wait until the revolution then we could get married, I needed to speak to Malcolm urgently. "Thank you, erm." I trailed off. "Ivan." He smiled.

"Asya!" I heard someone shout. I turned to see Olga running my direction with her shoes in hand, while the other one was holding onto her large hat so it would keep on her head and not fly off. "I should walk with you. As your sister, I should make sure you are well and safe." She rambled, finally catching up to me. "Okay, surreee." I sarcastically said. "I didn't want to leave you walking alone." She repeated. "Oh fine." I sighed, crossing my arms.

"Do you really know German, Asya?" Olga asked me out of nowhere, of course I did. But it was random. "What?" I asked. "The last time we had a walk like this, I asked if you speak another language, hoping you'd say French but you told me you speak German." Olga looked at me. "I speak German very well." I smiled at her. It was something that would always stick with me throughout my life.

"I want you to say... My name is Astrid and I am having a nice day at the beach." She requested. I chuckled. "Mein Name ist Astrid und ich habe einen schönen Tag am Strand." I said to her, it was more like standard modern German. I could speak some Hessian German, I was horrible though.

"I am NOT going to marry Prince Carol." Olga blurted out, completely ignoring my German skills. "What! Why not? Do you want this marriage could do for the future of your country and his?" I started raising my voice. "I am NOT getting forced into this! Mama and Papa said there was NO pressure in getting married, it's just a meeting." Olga fired back.

"Oh my God! Focus on the bigger picture Olga, the world doesn't revolve around you! You need to marry him." I cried out. "Well if this stupid marriage is so important, then why don't you marry him?" Olga yelled out. At this point we stopped walking and Olga stood at me with a red face. "I-He is too older than me." I muttered. "Exactly, if you were in my position you wouldn't speak to him either." Olga spat.

"Olga. I-"

Olga turned from me and walked away. Our conversation had ended. "Olga I'm sorry, I need to talk to you." I cried. She stopped.

"What?" She looked at me, her red face going back to normal slowly. "Please." Tears filled my eyes. It was obvious my parents wouldn't listen to me. I felt as if I had the world resting on my shoulders. If I am going to save them from dying, I have to wait. Right now I Need Olga and Tatiana on my side. I hope that Olga has not forgotten about our deal a long time ago. "I need to talk to you, Tatiana, Cian and Kiki." I muttered.

After the argument we both felt like jumping into the cold ocean water, we didn't jump but we laid in it.