Chapter 7

Mikaela

I took a deep sigh as the cool air finally surrounded me outside the courthouse.

"I'm gon' bring da car round," August said to me before he left Dawn and I alone.

"Miky girl, I'm sorry. I would never think that text message would've sent the hoe overboard," Dawn said regrettably.

I shook my head, " Nobody wouldve thought so D. Don't worry about it,"

"Nah. This is all my fault. I can't let you take the fall for my shit," she said back

"I think it's a little too late for that," I replied as my words sunk in.

I looked ahead to see August talking to our lawyer Megan. I was about to go over there but Dawn interrupted me

"Wayment. That day Hoelena sent that voicemail, weren't we at Bath & Body?" Dawn asked thoughtfully

I thought back for a few seconds, " Bed Bath & Beyond actually. Remember you wanted to get a new mattress so I went with you,"

"Yeah. I'm thinking don't they have cameras there? " She looked at me as if trying to recall

"They should,"

"Exactly. Prolly we could get the security tapes that show that I sent that text message and not you. Maybe it could get this entire case thrown out," she finished off

"Oh my god! Youre right," I said getting a little excited...but then it hit me.

"Dawn, you do know that could implicate you though. I mean her family could come after you, and what about Q?" I said becoming worried.

She fanned me off, " so? You got Brie. Besides all my family been to jail before except me, might be bout that time I stepped up to da plate. I got to live up to the Sherwood name"

She said this then smiled as I chuckled at how silly she still was even in all this seriousness.

"You don't deserve to take da fall for my shit. I got ya back," she said as she pulled me into a hug.

"Thanks D, " I said while in her embrace.

"Aight time is of the essence so go tell Aug you're riding with me...to bed, bath, infinity and beyond! " She said as I sped walked towards the now approaching vehicle Aug was in.....

******************

August

"Whatchu got thea?" I narrowed ma eyes playfully at Brie as she strolled past me in da living room

"Nothin," she smiled wit both hands behind ha back

"Nothin' ay? Then can I see ya hands?" I asked

She swayed from side to side befo stuffin' something in her mouth quickly, then openin up her palms to me.

"Come over hea' " I said as she strolled up towards me.

I inspected her hands befo lookin' away, then tickling her befo she even knew what hit her.

"Stop da...ddy! Stoppp!" She said inbetween uncontrollable laughter.

"You got a mint in ya mouth," I said realising she had taken it from her mama's stash in her office.

She nodded, " I ate two"
She said but holdin up 6 fingers

I laughed at her. " aight. No mo' fa ya today ok little mint-head?"

She chuckled softly with her cheek full, " ok daddy"

She ran off ta Whea her toys were as I went back to ma thoughts, but not fa long. A knock at da door came thru bout a minute later.