Chapter 37

August

"Pease Pease peasee can you take me and Pax to the park today?" Brie tugged at my jeans as she pleaded with me.

"Brie babeh-" I began

"Pease daddy. We don't havta play for long. Right Paxi?" She briefly looked at Pax.

I looked at her big bright eyes then to my watch. I knew I had somewhea' important ta be, and I was runnin late tho I couldn't remember whea exactly.

"I'm sorry babeh. Maybe when I get back," I told her.

Her eyes welled up with tears as she was on the verge of cryin, " Pease don't leave me daddy"

"Brie babeh, Don't cry... I'm right chea' " I said tryna comfort her but for some reason I couldn't.

She began sobbing loudly.

"Babygirl Daddy's right hea' " I said again but wit no luck.

"Brie babeh " I said as I jolted out of ma sleep.

"You alright?" Noelle walked into the room wit a concerned look and asked

"Just a bad dream," I said as I sat up from da bench I had fallen asleep on.

We were at da calling center and I must've dosed off for a minute.

"Wanna talk about it?" She said as she came over and sat next ta me.

" Da last time I was wit Brie she begged me ta take her to da park, but I blew her off cause I had mo' important shit ta do," I shook ma head feeling guilty for it now.

"You couldn't have known any of this would've happened Aug. Quit blaming yourself," she said empathetically.

I sighed.

"I was thinking...maybe we could get some of your famous friends to help?" She broke the silence sayin'

I looked up at ha not understandin' whea she was goin with this.

" One of the detectives told me that missing persons case tend to go cold in terms of public interest with the more time that passes. We need as many people out there to remember Brie in case they spot her or anything," she explained.

"Maybe if we get some influential people to keep the word alive we could help in doing that"

I nodded ma head, " Wale called me and said if there was any way he could help to hit him up...Khaled did too, he loved Brie."

"Alright. I'll get them on the phone," she said as she stood up.

"You should try getting some more rest."

"Nah. I need ta take care of somethin' ma self" I told her as I pulled out ma iphone....

***********
Mikaela

"That was foul of him to say," Dawn shook her head after I'd rehashed August's and I argument from 3 days ago.

"I hope you got that nigga sleepin on the couch for that," she added.

"He's barely here anyway. And when he does come home he showers and changes in one of the guest bathrooms," I said feeling hurt by how estranged we were becoming.

Her eyes widened at my last sentence.

"I think yall are taking this a little too far. This ain't the time to be divided,"

"You should try telling that to him. He hasn't once spoken to me since the incident," I told her.

"Maybe if I'd just told him what my father had done back then-"