Chapter 18

August

"Aight babygirl," I said softly as I eased Brie out ha car seat. She was still fast asleep after we left out dat party. I kicked da door closed and pressed da key to set da alarm on it.

As I made ma way up da pathway to da front door I heard a faint voice comin from da path dat went down to da garden.

I stopped walkin' and listened in tryna figure out if it was Felix or not.

"Yeah, I think I got rid of the loose end already...."

I heard him say, realisin he must've been on da phone.

I continued walking with Brie since I ain't wanna eavesdrop on da nigga and not ta mention, Abrianna was heavy.

"Whatcho mama been feeding you girl?" I said softly to her although she was still sleep.

I readjusted her on ma shoulders as I looked fa da house key in ma pocket.

"You're gonna have to find a way to destroy it then...." I continued to hear his voice, as he seemed to be comin towards ma way.

"If she ever finds out what I did then I'll never m-" I looked over to see Mikaela's dad standing in da intersection of da two pathways.

"I'll call you back," he said ta whoever was on da line as he flipped his phone closed and looked at me.

" What it do man?" I said as I saw him look away, since I was holdin Brie.

"I was just heading out, " he said lookin down at his phone in his hand, " I got a night shift at this car wash downtown,"

"Word? But you kno you still a nigga's mechanic right- you can't just go out gettin other jobs while on contract," I joked

He glanced at me and gave an uncomfortable smile.

I knew he had never seen Abrianna up close and he seemed ta still want ta respect Kaela's wishes and not see his grandchild.

"You got you a phone too?" I said placin' da key into the lock.

"Yes, guy at the store said it was top of the line too," he said as he looked at it again

I looked over at him, " a flip phone doe"

He chuckled, " I really don't know how to work those knew phones. Got apple and milky way galaxy...they somethin else" he went on

I chuckled as I stepped inside, " Yea dey are"

"Well Ion wanna make you late so, you have a good night," I said as he fixed his hat on his head.

"Sure. You all have a good night, " he stole a look at Brie although I ain't put da light on in the entrance as yet- so she was barely visible.

He gave me a quick head nod befo turning around and leavin out.

****************
The following morning

Mikaela

"Aye good-lookin' what's cookin'?" I felt two arms wrap around my waist as August spoke in my ear.

I began smiling as I stirred the pot of Crawfish on the stove.

"You know what's cooking, I texted you," I spun around in his arms to look at him.

He pulled me away from the stove, looking down at my lips and kissed me.

"Hey hey hey, could you at least finish cooking before all of this," Noelle walked in and motioned to us.

I chuckled as August eased away from me, " see I know I shouldn't have told you what she was cooking. At least now I'd have me some privacy,"

"You know I wouldn't forgive you if you didn't offer me food either," she said as she took the spoon out my hand.