Chapter ~5

With a heavy scream caught in his throat and sweat on his brow, Pete bolted upright in bed after such a terrifying nightmare. He tried to calm down and stared at the ceiling right above him. He was so disturbed by the flashes of the horrific sight of his mom lying in a pool of blood. He was scared to go back to sleep for fear of dreaming about it again.

It's been so many years already yet, he still hasn't gotten over the horrendous event from that rainy night. He leaned against the headboard, feeling sorry he couldn't protect her when she needed him the most, he also kept wondering how much his father might have suffered at the hands of that ruthless man.

"I'm sorry." Was all Pete could bring out. His face was now buried in his palm, and his heart wrenched painfully. "I haven't been able to avenge your deaths." He said the words but like he always did, he never allowed a tear to drop from his eyes.

Wallowing in sorrow all by himself for minutes, a knock suddenly came on the door and Pete frowned, trying to figure out who would disturb him at such an ungodly hour. He rolled off the bed and sauntered his way to the door. Opening it, Joey reared his head from the side, smiling widely and waving at Pete.

"Hi!" He spoke loudly before bringing his hand to cover his mouth, regretting the little noise he made earlier. Now he whispered subtly, "I saw your light was on and decided to check up. Can't sleep?"

Pete rolled his eyes at the young man. Sometimes he wished he didn't interfere in Joey's business at all. He was real trouble. "Was just going through some documents. Need anything?"

Joey scanned inside the room, "I'll come in first. I want to keep you company." He threw himself into the room before Pete could shoo him away. He giggled while settling himself on Pete's bed but the glare from the latter was piercing enough to throw him over to the couch.

Pete said not a word to the troublesome being and went on ahead to review a document for their next shipment. This was a big deal and it needed a thorough check. He couldn't bring himself to sleep anyways.

Joey was bored out of his mind because he was being ignored like a bug but the almighty Pete. He yawned out of boredom, pacing the room to find something interesting to get himself immersed him. Moving to Pete's side, he couldn't help but ask something that has been bothering him for all the three months he's known, Pete. "Hey Pete, how come I've never seen you smile?" He pursed his lips.

Pete paid no mind to the question and the younger one continued. "Is it some kind of defect? You literally can't smile?" He pouted innocently and this time Pete turned to look at him and letting out an exasperated sigh, he answered, "I choose not to." He stated and went back to do his work.

Joey was swayed into a land of confusion at the reply and plopped down into the couch. Why would he choose not to? Isn't it normal for every human to smile at least once?! He sat in the room wordlessly until his phone peeped. He instantly got annoyed at the sight of who it was but kept his low so Pete wouldn't find out and snap in the middle of the night.

From Vegas
Hey, petty thief, since Pete blocked my contact, I'm texting you instead, how's he doing? Don't try ignoring my message if you want your limbs intact.

The young man was gravely wordless. It was 2 am and such an ungodly hour to text a person and ask for another, and worse, threaten them.

To Vegas
You are insane! Leave me alone! I'm with Pete in his room and he's working.

From Vegas
At this time of the night? And hey, what are you doing in his room at this time? Don't you have yours?

To Vegas
Get out of there now, I don't like others getting close to what's mine, and worse, late in the night.