.18.

"Dad?" Hyunjin said while frozen in the aisle.

"Son!" His father said a little too excited.

Hyunjins dad embraced him tightly but Hyunjin didn't move. It was like hugging a mannequin. He wasn't still because he was scared, he was still because he hated his father with a passion. When leaving high school, they didn't end on a good note.

——————-

"You seem to love the whole rich life son." His dad said while stuffing food in his mouth, "That painting shit is going to get you nowhere. It's a job for pussies who rather live the dream of a toddler than do labor like a hardworking man."

"Honey." His mom said trying to stop his words before the whole situation escalates.

"It's the truth." He continued, "You sit here living lavishly, driving the cars I paid for, using my card, and bringing a whole bunch of women home."

Hyunjin tried his best to ignore his nagging father, he has done so for a long time.

"You can go out and have sex with all these people yet you can't lift a finger to help your own family," he said taking a sip of his drink, "I didn't raise you to be so useless."

"It's not like you raised me at all," Hyunjin replied.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me, Dad."

"You know how much I've done for this family?" His dad said standing to his feet.

"That's enough boys." His mom screamed.

"You would be nowhere without the hard work I did. If I knew my ungrateful son would turn out to be such a bitch when it came to life I would have had you aborted a long time ago."

"Maybe if you were loyal to the family you supposedly built from the ground up, I would be more grateful," Hyunjin said standing to his feet as well.

The room went silent as his dad's eyes burned a hole into Hyunjin.

"You thought I wouldn't know?" Hyunjin said not breaking eye contact, "He's been fucking the maid ever since she got here."

His dad slammed his fist on the table causing everything to knock over. He grabbed Hyunjin by his collar causing Hyunjin to lose his focus.

He brought him closer to his face before speaking again.

"You potty mouth little prick." He said bringing his hand up and punching Hyunjin in the face, "How dare you say something like that to me!"

Hyunjins mom tried separating them but it was not used. Hyunjins dad pushed her to the ground before lifting his fist again and punching Hyunjin in the face again.

Once he let him go, Hyunjin fell to the floor as his mom rushed over to him. She held his face as Hyunjin wiped the blood from his mouth. He looked up at his dad as he began approaching him.

His mom got up quickly and blocked him from coming any closer. She had tears running down her face as his dad screamed over her sobs.

"Fight me like you fight all the weak fuckers at school Hyunjin!"

Hyunjin slowly got up to his feet as his vision started to blur.

"Your out of this house." His dad screamed as his mom pushed him up the stairs, "Until you are man enough to fight me, I never want to see you in front of me."

————————-

As they sat at the table, Hyunjin was the only one who didn't have a smile on his face. If no one knew better, they would have thought he was dead. Even Hyunjins mom played along with the whole happy family thing.

Hyunjin was calm on the outside, but furious on the inside.

He couldn't stand the thought of them showing up here unannounced. After a year and a half without talking to their only son. The audacity of them to walk in and hug him like they love each other dearly.

"How's your art going Hyunjin?" Seungmins mom asked, "Seungmin has told me all about how passionate you are."

Hyunjin lifted his head and faced the lady. She had a huge smile on her face that he couldn't bare to ruin. He cleared his throat trying to get his words together before answering.

"It's great," he said dryly, "I'm still looking for an agent to get on my feet again."

"I thought you already had one?" Hyunjins mom said.

There was a long silence that fell over the group as the question remained unanswered. Hyunjin could see the slight smile on Seungmins face fade.

"Why are you guys here?" Hyunjin asked bluntly.

"We wanted to celebrate you two," his dad answered, "We loved the fact that you two are still good friends. I was surprised Singmon hasn't gotten over you yet."

"Seungmin." Hyunjin corrected.

Hyunjins dad stared at him with a straight face before a smile slowly painted his face. He apologized for his mistake and took the conversation elsewhere.

"How are you guys?" He asked.

Seungmin cleared his throat and gave everyone a simple rundown of how it should be going.

"No fights?" His mom said surprised, "You guys must be a power couple if you don't have any fights."

"Couple?" Hyunjins mom asked while looking at her husband.

Once again, silence fell over them. A very uncomfortable silence caused everyone to look around the table for some sort of reply.

"Yes." Seungmin said while holding onto Hyunjins hand, "Ever since high school."

Hyunjin looked over at Seungmin, but he was already looking at him. Hyunjins eyes became glossy as if he were to cry at any moment.

"Really?" Hyunjins dad said looking at him, "This is the first time I'm hearing about this."

"It's not like you wanted to hear from me for the past year," Hyunjin replied.

"Since high school is when you were still living at my house." He said, "Why didn't you tell me, son?"

"Did you want me to tell you before you tried beating the shit out of me or after? I guess it doesn't matter but all you care about is what's convenient to you."

Seungmins mother looked at her husband with worried eyes.

"You were never home is what I meant to say," Hyunjin said lifting his head to meet his father's furious eyes.

He dropped his utensils on the table harshly and stood to his feet. He brushed off his suit and fixed his collar before exiting the restaurant.

"How could you say that to your father?" His mother responded while grabbing her things.

"It's not like he treated you any better," Hyunjin said looking up at her, "You're the real dumbass for staying by his side after all of this."

She lifted her hand and smacked it across Hyunjins face, "You're a disgrace to this family."

With that, she got up and left to find her husband. Everyone was silent, still processing what just happened.

"My amazing family everyone." Hyunjin felt a tear burn his cheek as he felt everyone staring at him, "Thank you for having me."

Soon enough, he got up and left the restaurant without a word. Leaving Seungmin and his parents in a state they have never been in.

"That didn't go as planned." Seungmins's dad said, cutting his steak and shoving it into his mouth.