Chapter 17

TW: Mentions of Suicide. Please read with caution.

After the day we had breakfast with Noah, true to his word, he came every day right as Alpha Axle made his way to his office or left to the outside to his "packly duties." In the beginning, he had tried to talk to me; make me feel welcomed to his presence but I had trapped myself in my bedroom, only coming out to eat. The days seemed to bleed out slowly as I waited to see Ava again. I didn't press Alpha Axle on the topic since I knew the importance of playing the good mate in order to get what I wanted.

As the days turned into a week, I had kept up with my insistence on eating in my room and staying locked in there or in the Alpha's office when he wasn't there. One evening, when the Alpha had left to a meeting, Noah had come to the door with a quiet knock. I stayed quiet, afraid of what he may say, afraid of what he may do.

"Luna?"

As I ignored him and let silence create a space between us, he let out a loud sigh.

"I know how this must seem. I-I had a friend who was human. He was mated to wolf in a neighboring pack to his college." I walked over to the door intrigued by what he was saying. I heard the door creak as he leaned against it; I could feel his body heat through the door as he continued, "He knew what I was and had no problem with it. He even was an advocate for our right when we had first begun the uprising. It wasn't until a sentry from another pack had come to the college and scented him as his mate that my friend panicked. I didn't even think anything of it. It was normal for wolves to take what was there's. It wasn't until I visited him a year later that I realized what he was going through. What that wolf was putting him through."

I paused, saddened at his story, "What...what happened to him?"

I heard him let out a shaky breath as he told me the next events, "He tried to kill himself. His mate, the sentry, found him just in time before the pills had a chance to work their way through his system. I tried to visit him after that, but he refused to see me. I still try though; I visited his house twice a month before he started calling me over the phone. We still talk, I'm trying to get him to see me, but he's not ready. He says I failed him...I-I did fail him."

"Why are you telling me this?" I snapped.

"Because I don't want you to think you're alone, I don't want you to have to go through this on your own. The other night, at dinner, when I told you to touch him? When wolves get angry, they need an anchor, something that helps them remember who they are. I know you don't love him, not yet anyway, and maybe you never will, but I think I can help you through this, at least I hope I can."

"What...what's his name? Your friend." I gulped.

"Malcolm, he was going to school to be a civil rights attorney until he was taken. He was kind. He was vibrant. I don't want what happened to him to happen to you. I can already see you deteriorating. So please, let me help you." He pleaded.

I waited for a little bit. Contemplating if I should say anything, wondering if he was even worth my time. The dead part in me wanted to believe he was lying, it wanted to let the rage and sadness wash over me like a wave. I wanted to drown in it and scream at him to go away, but the other part of me...the other part of me wanted a friend. The other part of me was lonely and tired of fighting and wanted help, needed help.

"Give me today." I called out, "Give me today to be...whatever it is I am. Tomorrow we can talk, but for today let me have this."

I waited for his response. My entire being was wondering if I could trust him. I could feel the cool rush of cold go through my body at the idea that maybe I could trust someone beyond survival.