Chapter 19

Axle was starting to get annoyed while waiting for Ava and her mate. According to him, they were supposed to be here twenty minutes ago and had yet to arrive. An older woman from the kitchen had peaked her head out of the kitchen to remind him that dinner was ready and served whenever he and I were ready to eat. He thanked her, dismissing her completely and continued to stare at the door. I could tell he was getting upset by the way the scowl worked across his face and how he kept grunting out and irritated response.

"Where do the women come from?" I asked, hoping that this would dissipate some of his anger at Ava and her mate being late. This seems to work since he turns around scrunching his face at me.

"What women?"

"The people who have cooked every meal since I've been here. The ones who keep the house clean. I never see them, except for when you're around."

He nods his head slightly, "I have told them to stay hidden from you. I do not wish to overwhelm you so early to the other pack members presence until I have introduced you as my Luna in our ceremony."

"Where do they come from though? I don't ever hear them come into the house."

"We live in an annex of the pack house. They mainly live there and only come to prep food and clean while you are doing your studies or sleeping. They know when to come because they use their enhanced abilities to make sure they do not bother you."

"Oh..."

They avoid me.

Axle turns back to the door letting out an impatient growl.

"I'm sure they will be here..."

"They will. Garren has informed me that Ava was being particularly difficult today and so they are taking longer than expected. They should be arriving any moment now."

And just like that, a knock is heard at the door, signaling Ava's arrival. Axle opens up the door and lets out a low grunt, nodding for them to come inside. I notice Ava push pass her mate and waltz into the room as if she has no care in the world. She scans the room, looking for something, till her eyes land on me. Her eyes light up in a mischievous manner which I can't help but give a small smile too. Behind her, Axle lowly growls at her and her mate gives her an aggravated look as she makes her way over to me.

"Let's go eat dear Luna," she says mockingly, "I am starving."

Dinner seems to go by fast and rather easily considering Ava is at the table. She insisted that she sit next to me and that the "dogs" could sit somewhere else. Axle gave her a snarl and her mate grabbed her arm whispering something to her before releasing her. After that, however, we ate in silence and seemed to sail through the dinner with little to no talk about anything. After dinner, there seemed to be this sort of stagnant silence in the room till Axle broke it with a sound that was a mixture between a grunt and a cough.

"Enforcer Garren?"

"Yes, Alpha."

"I believe that we have some things to discuss about some of the training preparations and routines. Do we not?"

"Yes, sir."

Axle nods his head toward the door that leads to the living room and begins his way over to the door with Enforcer Garren. As Garren passes through the door first the Alpha turns to give me one more look and I could tell from that look what he was signaling. Behind the worry, there was a threat, the threat of punishment if I broke any of the rules he laid out, a reminder of what he said earlier. I nodded my head slowly acknowledging his stare and as he walked away my heart alit with fire. I looked at Ava with what I hoped was a fierce stare and waited for her to start talking. She gave me a slow nod and put a finger over her lips signaling me to be quiet. She then whipped out this small scratch of paper that looked blackened at the edges and had tears along the lining. She began to scribble onto the paper, and I noticed that she had written out, "Write here."