Chapter 34

As I enter onto the stage the lights seem to blind me of their brightness. When I look out to the crowd, I can see the anticipation in their eyes, the hope and respect that they radiate toward me because of my connection with Axel.  Their faces start to bleed out and blur as I look at them. I think the panic starts to set in as I look at them and realize what's expected of me. To them I'm their Luna, I'm meant to make heirs and continue the line of an exceedingly powerful Alpha. I'm not only his, but I'm also theirs.

There was some cheering and I'm pretty sure Axle was gesturing towards me. He even gave me a smile as he looked down at me, but if he asked me something I couldn't tell. The whole time I was up there I remained silent until Axle put a hand behind my back and started to move me off the stage. It seems that the speech was over, and I was now being ushered backstage.

Once backstage I was able to drag in a breath and focus my eyes. I saw a small classical band going up the stage with their instruments in their hand. Once everyone was gone from backstage and I had finally stolen a breath into my lungs to calm me down I looked up to Axle who had shifted his position from being beside me to in front of me. His eyes were hard, and I could tell that he was not happy with my reaction, but he was also not totally angry either. 

"What happened?"

"I don't know. I must have panicked." I swallowed.

Understanding comes over his face as he looks at me. "It may be jarring. I understand that it's new to you, but these are your people. You must act as their leader and be ready for them. You do not need to worry about danger. I will make sure you are safe; no harm will come to you."

I nodded my head and let him lead me out the door I had arrived in when I first came backstage. The minute Axle opened the door I noticed that there were guards lining the side of the entrance preventing some of the other wolves from bombarding us. There was also some of the guards paving a way for some nicely dressed people to come over to us. I noticed a man come over who looked to be around the same age as Axle come over with a woman holding on to his arm.

She was pretty and held a sort of regal attitude that I couldn't begin to mimic, and the man had this mischievous look on his face that was both playful and a bit sinister. While making their way over to us they continued to greet others who were near the guards being blocked off. It seemed to take them forever to get to us and I could tell Axle was getting impatient, especially when he let out an irritated groan. 

"What's wrong?"

"This couple tends to be quite flamboyant and there from a richer pack and control a richer sector than the one you are from."

I nod my head in acknowledgement and look forward at them. While they don't look pretentious, they do seem to be a bit colorful. When they both finally reach us, I can tell by Axle's body language that he doesn't exactly like this Alpha.

"Ahh, Continental Alpha Axle how are you this evening? I believe a congratulations are in order since you have just recently gotten your mate back."

Axle's body turned rigid at the other man's words and my eyes widened at the implications of his words. They way he inflected the last word tells me he knows something or at the very least suspects something and is using it to taunt Axle, but I wonder why.

"Yes, it is quite a gift to have my female back in the safety of the pack and my arms." He strains.

The man hums his response and looks down at the woman still holding onto his arm. He gives her a saccharine smile and turns his eyes on me. They still hold the mischievously glint to them, but I can tell that he's studying me, gauging my reactions and if I'll show him a tell. I level my gaze at him and keep my body upright.