Chapter 22

We got back to the house a little past six after making my way into the room and showering, I noticed that there was a dress on the bed. It was beautiful in an elegant way; it was long enough that it went past my knees and had white trimmed linings. It was simple yet beautiful. I was in awe at this dress. Most of the clothes I had before I came here were mostly loose and I often had to stitch most of my clothes back together. Since coming here, the clothes have all fit right and they're all new. It's hard because sometimes, when I'm alone, I think about how grateful I should be to have all this and then I remember the people who are still suffering, and I can't help but hate myself.

I didn't hear Axle come into the room till I felt the heat of his body brush against mine. His broad chest lingered behind me, and I could feel a soft brush of his breath against my collarbone.

"Do you like it? I thought it would look lovely on you. I picked it out while I was waiting for you to come back to me."

His breath brushed my ear as he spoke and the hairs on my body began to raise at his nearness. The more time I spend with him, the more my body becomes aware of him. I hate it. I gulp down my nervousness and pray that my voice sounds like it's not affected by his presence.

"It's nice." I say, weakly.

He makes a sound of approval and starts to stroke my hair; he continues to do this while simultaneously moving it all to one side. As soon as my hair is on one side of my neck he leans down and runs his nose along the length of my neck. He starts at my collarbone and then gradually works his way up to the edge of my jaw, all the while, I can feel his steady breath blowing out.

"You smell good." I stiffen at this, and I can feel him smirk against my skin as he continues to talk, "Did you have a good day today."

"Yes, the town was beautiful."

"I'll have to find time to take you out again then. I liked seeing you smile."

I nod my head and stand awkwardly as I wait for him to make his next move. Just as I'm about to ask him a question he moves away from me and flips me to face him. I look up to his eyes and see that they are alight with a bright blue. I had only ever seen his eyes flash black on the occasion he was mad, which was rare for him to show, his eyes were typically a hazel green that seemed dark and hardened.

"I wish I could stay here with you, but you need to change and I'm sure you will not do it in front of me?"

I shook my head fervently. He lets out a chuckle that sounds amused and bemused.

"Well, I will take my leave then and change in my office." He strokes my hair before continuing, "I will be sending up one of the women who help with the house to come up here and assist you."

"That's okay I don't need-"

He cuts me off with a wave of his hand, "She will help you prepare for dinner. I understand that in you sector you were not able to...acquire certain items so she will assist you in getting dressed."

"What's that supposed to mean."

He sighs, "Nothing love."

He kisses my forehead and walks away and out the door. Just as soon as the door is shut, I reach up and wipe my forehead with the back of my hand. As I wipe the back of my hand on my pants a soft knock is made at the door.

"May I come in, Luna?"

"Uh...yes?"

The door creaks open and an older woman appears. She seems to be in her late thirties or forties and has a bag in her hands. She looks friendly but everyone here seems to look friendly, and I have no way of knowing if I can trust them. She comes closer to me but keeps a safe distance, I think she can see how wary I am of her, so she gives me a small smile and motions towards the dress.