Chapter 49

"Adelaide, are you okay? You have to wake up. Please something is wrong with Darrel. I think he's dying." The voice sounded desperate as they pleaded with me. I felt hands grab a hold of my shoulders to shake me awake. At first they were light and then they turned urgent in the way they were shaking me to wake up. I let out a groan and raised my hand to rub my forehead.

"It hurts." I groan.

"I know. I'm sorry. The blast made us fall to the floor. We've been passed out for some time."

I raise myself up into a sitting position and wince when I feel my head pound from being knocked to the floor. When I open my eyes I can see Lucas looking at me with worry in his eyes. His forehead has a cut on it and he has dried dirt converting his face and clothes. I look at our surroundings and find Darrel laying flat on the floor. It's clear that Lucas has moved him to lay in a position that would be most comfortable but even with him laying their I can see that he's struggling. I crawl over to him and see that he is shivering. I lay my hand on his head and can feel the burn from his body nearly melt away my hand. His forehead is lined with sweat and I can hear him muttering something under his breath.

"How long has he been like this?" I ask, facing Lucas.

He gives me an agonized look and crawls over to where I am, "I don't know. When I woke up he was already like this."

"We have to get him out of here."

Lucas shakes his head and the same agonized look remains on his face, "We can't."

"What do you mean we can't!" I nearly shout.

Lucas rushes over to me to place his finger over my mouth as if in a motion to hush me. Fear is etching his face as he looks beyond me, so I turn around to see what he is looking when I do the blood drains from my face.

It's clear by the events in front of me that we have been out for a while. Past the lining of trees, beyond the forest line, I can see the silhouette of people through the trees. A lot of people. Some are on their knees while the others are standing up. I can see people pacing so I inch forward to see what's going on.

"Stop-" Lucas begins to say but I cut him off with a wave of my hand.

I crawled closer to where the hidden door is. I crouch down low to make sure no one can see me peering as I watch the event take place. A wave of irritation hits me as I realize how ignorant I was to my surroundings. I can hear Lucas let out a huff behind me but also comes over to where I am. We sit and wait there in silence as we strain to hear what is being said.

"Sir, we've cleared the perimeter and there is still no sign of either of them."

I can't see him but I can feel his energy coming off in waves. I can hear the soft pat of his feet walk on the dirt floor. Finally, Axle comes into view and when I see his face my whole body stills. He looks feral. Like any wrong move could lead to someone getting their throat ripped out. He comes closer to the soldier that just spoke and snarls in his face. If the soldier is affected he doesn't let it on. He remains stoic as he looks Axle in the face when I'm sure he probably wants to shudder with fear.

"Then check again!" Axle snarls.

"I have all the men searching the buildings now, sir. We did come upon where the Luna and Enforceress may have been residing."

"Was there anything there?"

"We are still checking but it looks like that it has been wiped out completely."

"Hmm, really? I think it's time then that we talk to the Captain. Don't you?"

The soldier nods but there is no emotion in his face as he says it. Axle sends out a command to the soldier and his troop to round everyone up and to bring them to the clearing they are standing in. It takes the troop less than five minutes to get everyone to the clearing and I can't help but wonder if they were already waiting nearby for the order. Peaking through the tree line I can see what's left of the rebellion and the people who lived here. Many of them are scared and I can tell from the way they all look dirty that they have been fighting tooth and nail to stay afloat against the wolves. The wolves look unaffected.