Chapter 31

My face twists up in confusion at her words. "It's happening?" What's happening? At my confusion Ava let's out a groan and rolls her eyes at me. She reaches her hand into the air and shakes her hand as if waving me and my stupidity off. 

"You know girl, you're going to need to start thinking a little. Things are about to get real hectic around here." Ava finishes.

"But I don't understand what you mean by "it's happen-" 

She turns to me and gives me a leveled stare; she reaches over to the radio and turns the volume up even more than before and walks over to where I am and pulls me over to a corner of the kitchen where it's a bit quieter. 

"My brother just contacted me about getting me free. I let him know that there was another human mate trapped like me. He was really excited to hear you were an Alpha's mate, so in exchange for getting you out he may want some information but even if you have nothing, he'll save you."

I look at her with utter amazement. I'm going to escape? When she first told me about escaping, I had held out the hope that maybe someday I would be free, but after a while, between the classes and the hangouts I hadn't really thought much of it anymore. But now, that I have time to think about it, I can't wait. I want to leave now. I want to find Nicole and escape with her and start over, start fresh, maybe Ava will come with us. 

"When is he coming for us?"

She gives me a huge smile that seems to spread across her face and look devious. "He said he's going to wait for the announcement happening this weekend. Wolves tend to show huge parties in celebration of what they are doing so it will be then. He said that we didn't have to worry about anything, that when the time is right, he'll grab us, and we'll go."

She says this with a giddiness I've never seen her have before. I had never heard her talk about her brother before and I'm surprised to see how devoted she is to him. I had assumed that since she came from the Crimson Shade Pack that she likely wouldn't have a sibling and if she did, they were estranged. The rumors of that Pack are not exactly shining reviews. 

"How will he know what I look like?"

She just shrugs and turns away from me heading back over to the radio. "Don't know, he just said he knew, and I know he does. I trust him, so trust me, okay?"

I nod as she turns the radio back down to a less ear deafening noise and then looks back up at me. "So...do you want to play a board game."

I don't leave Ava's house till Enforcer Garren gets back to the house. This time Noah styled our departure at the same time he was arriving, so I didn't have to endure his standoffishness. I knew it was late, had seen the time on one of the clocks in Ava's house but had gone one playing with Ava anyway. She was so happy to play these games and I could tell that doing so meant a lot to her and it meant a lot to me too. Emily's nice but Ava...she's real. I don't have to hide or pretend to be anything with her, and I don't want to. 

On our way back to the house Noah and I are silent. This isn't an awkward silence but a calming one. I want to keep this peace we have going on, but I have to know about the event that is going to happen. I need to prepare myself in case of an emergency. In case it ends badly for everyone myself included. 

"Hey Noah?" I ask peering up to him shyly. 

He gives me a quick glance then forward again, "Yeah?"

"What's happening this weekend? Ava said there was like some important event or introduction thing or both and didn't know what it was being held for."