Chapter 47

Darrel and I opt to stand as Moira and Samuel stay seated. The doctor is beside Samuel and looks between us shiftily. He must know what went down this morning. I take a glance at Samuel but his expression is unreadable which makes me all the more nervous.

"Why are we here." I ask, hoping it sounds strong.

"Yes, why are we here." Moira says.

The minute she speaks I can see the sneer on Samuel's face form. It's ugly and reminds me of the way he acted this morning, but Moira either doesn't care or doesn't seem to notice as she kicks her legs back and forth. Samuel turns his attention back to us but instead of talking motions for the doctors to do so.

"Um," the doctor clears his throat as a nervous tick then proceeds, "we got word from some of our soldiers out in the field that the wolves are planning something nearby. They may have a generalized location and if that is the case we will need your help to dissuade them from us."

"What do you mean?"

"We want to set up another video stream that will allow us to broadcast to everyone. The Captain will then make an announcement which will make the wolves act more irrational. This will also help us gain some leverage over them." As he says this his eyes constantly shift back and forth from me to Samuel. This wasn't his idea; it was Samuel's.

"Okay, is there anything I need to do."

"Nope!" Moira quips, "You just need to be there and look pretty. We will do the rest."

I don't look her way rather I keep my eyes trained on Samuel. He has something planned. I can feel it. I make a motion to the office door to indicate that everyone should go in so we can get started, but that's when Samuel speaks up.

"We will be doing it in here today. Moira will assist us with the technical issues, the doctor will do his usual monitoring and assisting while you and I stay in view of the camera, and Darrel..." His eyes narrow on Darrel so I try to shift in front of him as a shield but Darrel pushes me aside, gently.

"I'm here acting as her guard. I'll stay in the background by her side."

Samuel nods his head in agreement and then makes a shooing motion to the doctor. The doctor leaves and comes back in record time with food containers that clearly have steak in it and it has me wondering how the hell they are able to give out stake to him while the others in this camp eat oatmeal for nearly every meal.

Samuel motions to the seats in front of us indication we should sit. I shake my head and grasp onto Darrels wrist. Somehow the table has silverware and plates on it and I reason that it must have been there since the beginning, I just didn't notice it.

"We aren't hungry, but thank you for the offer."

Samuel narrows his eyes at my words, "It's rude to decline when you are the guest."

I narrow my eyes back to him as I say, "Then I suppose I'm rude."

"Now now let's not get too worked up. I'm sure you can sit for just a moment right Addy? Can I call you that? You look like an Addy." Moira says.

What the hell is going on? Who is she?

I look over to Darrel and he gives me an almost patronizing look. I think he doesn't know what to do as much as I do. With a sigh, I take a seat at the table with Darrel taking the seat next to me. I level my gaze over to Samuel who is still looking at me with irritation. However, in that irritation I can still see that same interest he has shown before. I guess this morning wasn't a clear sign that I wasn't into him.

As they eat the doctor continues to make subtle glances over to where I am. I can tell by the way he continues to look at me and then a quick look over to Samuel that today is going to throw a curve into my plans.