Chapter 23

It was like a dream. I get dressed in some beautiful clothes, a handsome boy takes me on a date and at the end of the night I get a mind blowing first kiss with him. Only this wasn't dream and I wasn't with some boy who had asked me out on a date because he thought I was beautiful. He didn't stutter through his introduction and his palms didn't sweat when we held hands. In reality, I was on a date with the man who was holding me captive, and I had to live with that. I had to convince myself that this was normal, that this was my life.

When Axle led me out of the house, the car we had taken out earlier was waiting in the front of the house. A man stepped out of the driver's side door and bowed to the Alpha before making his way around the house. My gaze followed the driver until Axle called out to me.

"Ready love? The drive isn't far so you won't have to worry about being in the car for too long."

I nodded my head and made my way over to the other side of the car. Axle had led me out of the house by hand, so I worked my hand out of his, or at least I tried to, but Axle didn't let me get very far. He tugged me back to his side and gave me enthusiastic smile.

"Let me walk you to the other side. I'll help you in."

I gave him a slight acknowledgement and let him lead the way to the passenger side door. When he opened the door, I looked back at him and gave him an uneasy look before getting in. I thought he would let go of my hand, but he kept his hand in mine and gave me a light lift up into the car.

"Thank you." I mumbled.

"Of course. Let's get going; I'm starving."

Of course, he is. This is something I've noticed about all of the wolves. They have large appetites. Because of their heat and stamina, they often burn off anything they eat or take, like medication. Every time at the diner, stray wolves would typically come in and eat a family meal for three and Noah always complains he's hungry every two hours he's watching me that I often see him go into the kitchen and grab something to eat.

By the time Axle gets into the car and makes his way out onto the paved road, warmth lightly wraps around me from the cars heater and makes me feel light. I look over to Axle and study him for the first time since I've walked down the stairs. His hair is nicely combed to the sides of his head and he's wearing a black button up with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He has a few tattoos on his forearms and some peak out from the edges of the sleeve. He looks nice. He looks more than nice he looks incredibly handsome, and I think he knows this. I even think he knows I'm assessing him because along the way of my appraisal I notice his mouth is turned up into a slight smirk. I turn away and look over at the right side of the windshield when he begins pulls me out of my self-scolding.

"You do not have to be ashamed to look at me you know. I am just as much yours as you are mine."

I give him a small glare and turn myself back to the window. He lets out a chuckle and continues to drive. We reach our destination five minutes later when he banks off the side of the road onto dirt and gravel. He drives toward a lining of trees that seem to connect with the forest that surrounds this entire godforsaken place. When he turns off the car and gets out, I start to panic, this makes no sense. This isn't a first date type of thing. Why is he taking me into the forest? What does he have planned. My nervous energy ticks down to my fingertips and I begin to pick at my nail, ripping a piece off in the process.

The car door whips open, and Axle holds both of his hands out to me to help me out of the car. I give him my hands in fear of what he may do if I shrink away from him and leap across the seats even though that's what my body is screaming for me to do. My feet hit the hard dirt floor graciously, even though I felt anything but. I looked up to Axle and could see that he was eager to get going and that made the nerves wrack through me even harder.