Chapter 44

Samuel inches his head up slightly but doesn't raise it all the way and doesn't make eye contact with me. He almost slipped. I look over to the doctor's face and see his face go pale. This can't be good. It's silent again. Silent for too long that I'm sure most of us in the room are suffocating because of it; it's not until I hear the gruff voice of Axle again that I realize even the tiniest slip can doom us.

"She's there," his voice takes on a sinister note as he lets out a huff of laughter, "Of course she is. Did you think you would be able to use her against me? Maybe give her some lines to say to rile me up. I'll give you something boy, that's really clever. Using my mate against me. But there is one thing you didn't count on."

"What's that?" Samuel says with an even tone. Although he looks calm his leg seems to be shaking just a bit.

"It's the affect I would have on her. I bet right now her instincts are screaming at her to come to me. She's probably anxious from hearing my voice and she may even believe that what she's feeling is fear, but we all know it's not. It's the mate bond taking effect. She wants me she just won't let herself admit it."

I want to call him a liar. I want to tell him he's wrong. That this is just fear. That I'm terrified of him and of his presence, but some part of me wonders if he's right. Samuel doesn't look at me but the clench in his jaw tells me he's angered. 

"Unfortunately, Commander, I think you may be as deranged as she let on. You see she told us you would say these things. That you were conniving and manipulative, but I will not be dissuaded by your words."

"You should be. My words are not threats; they are promises. While it was nice to see the little set up that you have and quite entertaining allowing you to pretend to be a Captain, I think our conversation has come to an end, so let me make my words clear for you." 

There is a resounding silence, and we all look at one another, even Samuel looks away from the screen finally to look over at our faces. I can tell that he's just as in the dark as we are about what going to happen.

"You will either give up the Luna and the Enforcers mate or I will see to it personally that your entire little village. I apologize, rebellion, is destroyed and it will not just be me sorting you into different packs and sectors, no, I will parade you all around the supernatural community. I will allow them to sort you and pick which ones they want like your all puppies ready to be adopted. I will allow my wolves to go unchecked as they pillage through your squabble of a land. I will tear apart families, husbands and wives will be separated. Many of your people will die when if I am the one to come for her."

Samuel lets out a vicious yell and slams his fist onto the table, "How dare you disrespect me. You would harm all these people rather than solve your problems diplomatically with me. I am trying to come to a compromise with you, yet at every turn you dog always manage to get in the way of everything."

Ava and I still at his words. We can hear the snarls over the computer and while Ava starts to shake, my eyes grow wide, and a shudder runs through me. At first, I think that Axle is going to angry as well. Start growling and demanding things the way he used to. The way Samuel is now, but instead all I hear is a maniacal laugh sound through. 

"Ahhh, so this is the esteemed Captain I've heard so much about. Your reputation proceeds you. You see Captain I've done some research into you. I know about that little temper of yours and how your mental state isn't all there. I also know that you were passed over to this district and were only promoted because all the other Captains either died or realized that this was a foolish endeavor. Tell me, when they told you where you would be stationed, was it then you realized that they were trying to get rid of you or was it when you kept applying to Colonel that you realized that you were insufficient and unwanted."