CHAPTER SEVENTEEN : MUTUAL FRIENDS

Draco's POV

Today's morning was extremely weird. I shouldn't have expected otherwise, with Potter being my partner. He acted strange since we were in the dorm. The potions class didn't go any better. Professor Slughorn made us sit on a tiny bench, and my horror of hugging Potter almost came true. The number of times he had hit my hand, ruining what I wrote, was absolutely aggravating.

Just when I was about to snap at him, he excused himself in the middle of the class, standing up like a fool. That created problems too. Was there anything this git could do correctly? Then, I gallantly had to save the day by shifting to the edge of my seat, and he thought I did it to help him! The nerve of him! Honestly, I just got annoyed by all those students calling for him to move. But of course, that bloody Gryffindor complex, thinking everyone did things for him out of goodness.

I was more than grateful to have my next class without him, wondering who my partner was and secretly hoping it would be Theo, but also knowing it was highly unlikely.

The next class was Charms. And Professor Filius Flitwick was supposed to be teaching it. I couldn't tolerate someone like Potter being my partner for this class too. I wanted someone whom I could bear. When I entered the classroom, I was greeted vaguely by a feminine voice.

"Oh, hello, Draco!"

I flinched slightly at the person using my first name, turning to find Luna Lovegood addressing me.

"Looney- I mean- Lovegood? Why are you talking to me?" I rudely asked with disgust painted on my face.

"Because we are partners for Charms class," she said in her airy voice.

Oh...

I wanted to roll my eyes. Of course, when I don't have to deal with Potter himself, his friend pops up. Sure! That was supposed to make me feel better. Why couldn't I have someone out of the Potter zone as my partner?

"So, we are supposed to get along?" I rhetorically asked with a sneer, but Lovegood answered me, seemingly ignoring my obvious disgust.

"Well, if we are going to be partners for this year, it only makes sense, right?" she stated, nodding her head earnestly, making her ridiculous radish earrings swing.

I blinked. "Yes, I suppose that makes sense," I stated quite stiffly, slightly impressed with this odd girl.

"So... you got chosen for charms?" I asked her conversationally, a bit curious now.

"Oh yes," Luna smiled, "I have always been interested in Charms. And sixth year's charms are my favourite. Especially the bubble-head and knitting charms."

"That's odd," I said, "I, too, fancy the bubble-head charm, along with Drought Charm and Reductor Curse. I like all of them, but these are my favourites." After that, I clamped my mouth shut a bit sheepishly. I didn't mean to start talking with her... it's not like we're friends.

"I can imagine," Lovegood replied, without judging my change of attitude, "This is why you were chosen as a candidate for Charms. And I think we can make a good pair of candidate teachers for it. I don't know why Harry finds you so difficult to coordinate with."

"Potter complains about me?" I turned toward her, my eyes slightly wide. I didn't know why that was surprising. I should have expected Potter to whine about me to his friends.

"Oh yes, you're all he talks about," Lovegood said, her eyes wide, mimicking me.

"Is that so?" I raised my brows, a small smirk on my lips.