CHAPTER THIRTY THREE : FROWNS AND SMILES

Thursday 17th September

Draco's POV

"I swear to Merlin, if Slughorn doesn't shut up, I'm going to quit potions forever," I said. I could already feel the beginning of a headache.

During Potions class, Slughorn had shoved us some more parchment, and now I was extremely reluctant to complete this stupid outline.

What is the worst he can do? Give us detention? He can't even do that!

Potions class had ended, and we were back in the room of requirement. The room somehow extended while we were gone. Now, there was a fireplace and a whole new shelf of books.

When I realised it was past six in the evening, I packed up my quill and notes, dumping them unceremoniously in my bag. But I noticed Potter wasn't packing at all, just staring into the distance with a cold expression.

After Astoria handed him the letter, I noticed how awfully quiet Potter was. Weaselbee's plan of arrival seemed to put him in some confusing state.

I wondered whether he realised it was time to leave already. After watching him for a few more moments, I decided to speak.

"Are you planning on returning to the dorm?" I asked, sliding my books into my bag and closing the clasp.

"The outline isn't complete yet," Potter replied dully, not looking at me.

"Well," I said, standing up. "Good luck with that, then. I'm leaving."

That made Potter look at me with a cold glare. "Where do you think you're going?"

"To... the dorm...?" I hesitantly replied.

I wasn't sure when Potter's mood had taken such a turn, but I was not enjoying it.

"You're not going anywhere." Potter stood, his jaw clenched and eyes hot. "The outline is both of our responsibilities, and it's not complete yet. You need to stay back and help as well."

"Potter, we have the entire week. Give it a break, will you?" I probably sounded like a whiny child, but I really couldn't help it. "I don't want to spend the rest of the day doing potions."

Potter fixed me with such an intense look of hatred that I could practically feel magic crackling off him.

"Shut up and take this," he hissed, shoving multiple pieces of paper into my hands. "You work on this."

Alright then...

"What happened to the previous papers I worked on?" I scanned over the parchments, then glanced back towards Potter.

Potter shrugged, sitting back in his place and fiddling with the parchment. "They had a few mistakes, so I got rid of them."

Why is he being so rude?

"I guess you should have been more focused while doing your work," he drifted away, expression still stormy.

I sighed. There was clearly something wrong with Potter. I couldn't make out what bothered him. Was it the letter from before? But I didn't see any reason why he would be mad at me for that.

"What's the matter?" I gave up and walked closer, placing my bag down again.

"Nothing..." Potter replied, writing on one of the sheets.

"Then why are you acting like this?"

"Acting how?" He arranged the sheets and stood to get another parchment from the shelf.

"You know what I'm talking about."

"I don't," he said without looking at me. He was still walking away, so I grabbed his hand to stop him, my fingers tugging at the soft, woollen material.