CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT : ACHOO!

Harry's POV

Malfoy stood and immediately fell back on Hagrid's bed the next second with a groan. He winced in pain and touched his foot.

"Are you alright?" It slipped from my mouth like an impulse.

"I had forgotten about my leg..." Malfoy said, still in pain, "I twisted it while coming here."

I had been feeling better for a few minutes, talking to Malfoy. But the guilt was back as soon as he said that. I somehow sensed he hurt his leg because of me.

"Here," I said gruffly, holding out an arm. "Grab on."

Malfoy looked at my hand, then back at my face. He considered for a second before grasping my hand.

I pulled Malfoy up, and he stood, brow furrowed in pain as he did so.

"Alright?" I whispered.

He nodded through pressed lips. Slowly, pulling his arm around my shoulder, I wrapped my arm around his back. His fingers curled around my biceps. My body tensed for a second.

Malfoy is holding onto me.

"Let's go then," I said, grateful that Malfoy couldn't see my face. Malfoy let out a soft grunt of agreement.

We both slowly hobbled out of the hut, with Malfoy's grip painfully tight on me as he maintained his balance.

It was almost dark when we walked up the hill in a slow, aching silence. The sun had just begun to sink into the horizon. Soon, I saw Astoria's slim figure running towards us.

"Draco!" she said— the relief was prominent on her face. It seemed she wanted to hug him but refrained from doing so as her arms fell limply beside her.

"Where were you? You look hurt. Come on, I'll take you to Madam Pomfrey." She stepped toward him, ready to support him from the other side, like me.

This was my sign to leave. Malfoy's girlfriend was here now. There was no need for me to stay. She would look after him, of course, except... I didn't want to leave.

It must have been the guilt again that meddled with my mind and made me want to look after Malfoy. I needed to make sure he was okay. And something told me Astoria wouldn't be able to do that.

Sure, she was taking him to Madam Pomfrey, so he would be stable physically. But I knew what Astoria did to him mentally, or at least had a gist. I had never seen Malfoy relax with her. And I wouldn't like him going through it now. He really needed to rest. But that decision was of Malfoy's to make. I waited for him to reply.

Malfoy shook his head. The movement made his blonde hair slide against my face.

Apples. Of course, it smells like apples.

"I don't think that's necessary," he said.

"Of course, it's necessary!" she expressed. "You are limping. Look at all these wounds!"

Astoria stepped closer and held his hand, touching his face with her other hand. Malfoy was facing her completely as I silently stood behind, feeling as if fading into the background.

Astoria stared Malfoy in the eyes as her finger traced his cheek, touching the bruises. Malfoy didn't blink. He was looking into her eyes too. His silvery grey eyes seemed to be lost in a deep thought.

I knew he would agree to her now. He would say yes to her and leave with her. And then, I would return to the dorm alone. And Malfoy would spend his night in the hospital wing, with Astoria by him throughout the night.