CHAPTER TWENTY : LETTERS CREATE MATTERS

Draco's POV

Relief is temporary.

I had learned that the hard way.

I woke up earlier than Potter today. I had charms class without him, which suited me perfectly fine. I hated to admit it, but I looked forward to seeing Lovegood. Potter was slumped against the pillows, his whole body wrapped in the white sheets, only the black shock of his hair on display. The general feeling of disgust every time I looked at him was still there, but somehow it wasn't as pronounced as before.

Probably, it was because he was asleep. Not physically doing anything right now that could annoy me.

I folded my blanket and freshened up, leaving the dormitory. On my way to the charms class, I bumped into Astoria.

"Draco!" she giggled sweetly. "Good morning!"

"Morning," I greeted.

She took her usual position beside me, her sickly sweet scent wafting around me. It was some rich cream that made her skin look like it glowed.

"How did you sleep today? Were you still cold?" she asked, her tone falling into the category of simpering, but not quite.

I shook my head. I told her truthfully, "I asked the authorities for another blanket, so now Potter and I both have one of our own."

It made Astoria smile again. I saw her teeth sparkle.

"Well, isn't that great?" she chirped. I nodded, sighing internally.

Lovegood was already in the class when we entered. I walked toward her, hoping Astoria would leave me alone now, but she followed me even there.

"Oh, hello," Lovegood said, looking at us both. She eyed Astoria with mild interest.

I nodded in greeting. Astoria placed her hand out for a formal handshake.

"I'm Astoria Greengrass," she cheerfully said. "I'm a prefect here. And also, future Mrs Malfoy."

The same tense dread filled my stomach when she said those words. Lovegood looked at me with a widened expression for a second before shaking hands with Astoria.

"I'm Luna Lovegood," she introduced herself. "I'm Malfoy's partner for charms class."

"I know," Astoria smiled. I could see that her smile was slightly strained.

"Excuse me, Ms Lovegood," a student called, and Lovegood turned her attention toward her.

I turned to Astoria with a tense expression.

"Can you stop introducing yourself as Mrs Malfoy?" I mumbled, pink tinging my cheeks.

"Why?" Astoria asked, looking confused.

It bothered me because every time Astoria introduced herself as Mrs Malfoy, it made things seem final.

"Well, I- I think, well, people are finding it a bit... odd and unexpected, so I think it would be best if we leave that detail out," I said, the red on my cheeks growing more prominent.

"Alright," she replied slowly, her expression unreadable, "I was saying it for people to know their limits with you."

"Their limits with me?" I raised my brows.

"I'm not dumb, Draco," her expression turned sour, "I can see the way these girls look at you. I just want them to know to whom you belong. Don't want to get their hopes up, you know?"

Pausing, she said, "I'll stop saying it if you don't want to. But you owe me a kiss."

The annoyance immediately spiked after she said that. But I controlled it and forced my expression into something suitable.