CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR : SNEAKIN' IN AND OUT

Saturday, 19th September

Draco's POV

"Why is he here again?" Longbottom finally asked after giving me a long stare.

I didn't blame him, honestly. I didn't fit the scene. And neither did Astoria and Theo.

Potter, Longbottom, Lovegood, Theo, Astoria and I were gathered in a corner of the castle, close enough to the outskirts of the forbidden forest. We patiently waited for the arrival of Ginny Weasley, hoping to sneak her in with a warm welcome.

I wanted to answer Longbottom— ask him to shut his blabbering mouth. But Theo spoke instead.

"Because he'll get to shag his girlfriend after this," he said, shooting me a cheesy grin.

I rolled my eyes.

Astoria whacked Theo's head, and he screwed his face up in an "oww."

"I'm right here, you know," she said snippily.

I chuckled.

Longbottom turned to Theo again with a tiny frown. "Why are you here, then?"

Theo rolled his eyes this time as if the reasons were evident.

"Draco forced me, obviously. Because all he wants to do—" He lowered his voice dramatically, low enough that Astoria couldn't hear, "...is shag his girlfriend."

"Oh, for fuck's sake," I scowled, shaking my head.

Theo just grinned and winked at me. Longbottom started laughing. I turned away from them, resuming my lookout for the Weaselette.

"Malfoy!" Potter walked up to me, his glasses glittering in the semi-darkness. I raised an eyebrow, but my mood lightened slightly at the sight of him.

"Thanks again for doing this. I'm sure Ginny will be here soon," Potter continued.

"It's no problem," I wanted to say, but before I could, Lovegood spoke up, "I think she's here."

She pointed towards the trees. A figure with unmistakable red hair dressed in black robes appeared.

Potter's mouth slightly opened as he stared at the figure.

She was far away, but we were sure it was Ginny Weasley.

When the Weaselette spotted Potter among us, she had already taken off towards him.

I glanced towards Potter, who started to smile widely. It was strange to look at it happening for some reason.

Weasley ran into him hard, laughing as she wrapped her arms around him. Potter stumbled back slightly but laughed as well, squeezing her back tightly.

I sensed something— someone fleeing away, a feeling of something being snatched. But most of all, I felt deprived of something I couldn't point to. I blinked a few times.

They hugged for what seemed like years, but was probably only a few seconds. I couldn't look away. With a slight twinge, I noticed the way they both seemed so happy.

Potter's cheeks brightly flushed as they broke apart, the smile never leaving. The redhead turned towards Neville and Luna, and they all hugged.

Potter watched them, rubbing the back of his neck, expression dropping slightly. I watched the little greeting, feeling a bit like an intruder.

Suddenly, a hand slipped into mine. I turned to see Astoria shyly smiling.

"Hey you," she whispered.