Cheerleader Blues

I lay on my pink bedspread feeling hopeless. Last week, I didn't win 1st place in anything! It was terrible. My mom keeps telling me I did beautiful and it wasn't my fault, but I'm quite sure she's a liar.

"Honey? It's time for dance. Please?" My mom says softly.

I sigh, wanting to avoid Miss. Abby at all costs, but I know it's useless. I have to go eventually.

Today I'm wearing a light purple sports bra and light purple shorts. We straightened my hair and now you can really see the blonde in it!

When we get there, Miss. Abby gives me a small smile and motions for me to go to the pyramid with the others.

"Last weekend, they hated you girls. The only winning numbers I had were Chloe in first and Maddie in second. Not even Alison. So, at the bottom we have Brooke. You weren't in any special numbers and the group dance was weak. Next, we have Nia. You were good in the group. We need to fix your technique. Then, we have Paige. Trio got sixth. Was that your fault? Probably. Next, we have Maddie. 2nd place? What did we talk about? Next time, you will be at the bottom. Next, we have Chloe. One first place, it was good. On top, we have Ali. You didn't win, but I thought you were great." Abby explains. I can't believe it! I'm still on top! I guess my mom was right!

"This week, we will learn three dances. The group is an acro lyrical piece called 'Ups and Downs'. Brooke, you will be the lead."

'I'm happy to just be a backup dancer this week! Maybe now I can get some pizza!!" I say in my interview.

"We will also have two solos. Alison will be doing a solo entitled 'Sign of the Times'. Congratulations, this will be the first lyrical solo you have ever competed!" That's so cool! I have always either done ballet, jazz, musical theatre, or acro!

"The other solo will be a jazz number for Chloe entitled 'Kiss, Kiss'." Uh-oh. Chloe's really good and I don't think I can beat her.

Game on, Chlobird, game on.

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

I start off stage, then run on, spring into a front layout, and throw my body on the floor.

This dance is very slow, and quite technical. It's also pretty boring compared to the other dances I have done. Oh no! I hope I don't fall asleep on stage!

When the music stops, Miss. Abby called me over to her seat.

"Alison, this dance is good. Is it 'beat Chloe good'? I don't know. A faster part is coming up soon, I want to add some next level moves. You're dancing at the skill level of a 13 year old, so why don't we flaunt that?"

Miss. Abby spends the next hour brainstorming challenging moves for me to do. We  finally finish at about 11:33 pm. I can barely keep my eyes open, and my mom has to carry me to the car.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Before we even know it, it's competition day. The solos are going first, so we are busy doing makeup and pulling on costumes. My solo costume is light blue and flowy. It's the most modest costume yet, and I'm not complaining.

Chloe's solo is first, and she does great. Her acting is perfect and her moves are great, too. She stumbles or tips every now and then, but she hides it well.

Before I even have time to worry, it's my turn. I run onto the stage and launch into my layout. I end up doing really well, and I don't mess up once!

We head back to the dressing room and start changing for the group dance.

"So, Brooke. I heard you want to be a cheerleader." Miss. Abby questioned as Brooke nods.

"Why? You're here! You have all of this! GONE! The group dance won't be going. Want to be cheerleader? Then learn to cheer on the soloists." She screams at Brooke.

What? No group dance? I worked hard. We all did. How could Abby do this?!?

It's finally awards time! I rush onto the stage and take a seat next to Chlobird.

"In third place we have entry #32, Deep down." The anouncer says.

"In second place, we have entry #47, Kiss Kiss." No way! I think I might have won!!

"And in first place, with a perfect score of 300, we have entry #46, Alison Montgomery with 'Sign of the Times'!"

YES! I did it!