Dying to Dance

As we enter for pyramid, I noticed two other faces on the chalkboard. Oh no.

"Girls, last week was great. We learned a lot of new numbers, and did an amazing job overall. At the top we have Ali. Incredible all around. Next, we have Maddie. You also impressed the scout. Good job. Chloe, you just didn't stick out all that much. On the bottom row, we have Brooke, Paige, and Nia. You all need to step it up. Your goal is up here. NOT down here. As you can see, we have two new spots. Those two people are Vivianne and Mackenzie!" The girls come running in and we hug them both.

I'm so happy! I literally LOVE Mackenzie! I'm looking forward to dancing with her again.

"Obviously, they will often be too young too compete. I decided that they also could use some help... From two of you girls. I have selected Maddie for Vivianne and Alison for Kenzie." Abby smiles.

'I'm very excited to tutor Kenzie, but I don't know how!' I giggle in my interview.

"This week is regionals. We will have solos from Brooke, Chloe, and Alison. The group dance is going to be a very dark piece entitled 'Where Have All The Children Gone?' It's VERY creepy, so please bring your best performing skills."

'Once again, Maddie is passed up for a solo. Like, this is regionals! If Abby doesn't come to her senses soon, we might just find a new studio.' Melissa complains in an interview.

"Girls spread out, moms can go." We all do as told and begin to stretch.

We begin to learn the routine. It was honestly really creepy. Basically, we are all killing ourselves off. It's soooo scary. I don't think I like it.

"Okay. We are about half way through the dance. I would love to teach you the rest, but we have solos to learn and some people are leaving early or whatever. So girls, please go take a short break. Chloe, Ali, and Brooke, stay here." Abby grunts.

"Ali, your solo is called River. It NEEDS to win, yes? Chloe, your solo is called  Parles Moi. It's a very sassy piece. Brooke, your dance is called Supermodel. It's a slightly more challenging routine." Abby explains.

We start by working on my solo. It's very sharp, clean, and technical. I have a turn series that's SOOOOOOOOOOO long. It takes up about 25 seconds!

"Girls, these are looking decent. Chloe and Brooke, you can keep practicing with me or Gia. Alison, your mom has somewhere to take you. She's in the front lobby." Abby dismisses us.

My mom? I haven't seen her since last week! I rush into the front lobby.

"Mommy!" I scream, jumping in her arms.

"Hey, princess!" She hugs me.

I missed her so much.

We get in the car and begin driving to Caesars office.

"Ali?" She says without looking at me.

"What?" I smile from the backseat.

"Daddy and I... We decided that maybe it would be best to stop seeing each other for a while." What?

"But... Why?" I feel my eyes welling up with tears.

"Oh, Alison. We just... Don't really work like we used to. We've been together for so long... I guess I expected it. There will be some grown-up stuff we have to do. You can stay at your friends houses every time, though! It'll be fun, right Ali?"

I turn towards the window and begin to cry. This whole thing is so stupid.

'I met Alison's father when I was in my junior year. We started dating and by senior year, I was pregnant with his child. I had Ali at 19. It was always a struggle, but we made it work. When she was three, she wanted to dance. I said yes, and we signed her up. We started fighting all those years ago. Recently, he started hating dance. He said it overpowered her life. I didn't really think anything would become of it, though. Last week, I found out he was cheating on me with a girl named Katie. I believe it was the best decision; to get divorced. For the kids sake.' Annie says in an interview.