02

MY HOUSE

Waiting for me was a bland and empty room

Waiting for me was a bland and empty room. It a school day so my brother was at school and then had to go to lacrosse practice. Brother is weird to say, its not just me anymore. Melissa said he knows about me, just not that I am moving in. She was told so late that the room only had a twin bed in it. She had stressed that there would be a family dinner tonight and told him to come home early and to not invite his friends. She said maybe Scott and I can bond at the Walmart tomorrow while I shop for room decorations. But I don't want decorations, I want my dad. I want my house.

"School starts at eight in the morning, Scott leaves at six thirty to go to lacrosse meet ups. You'll have to ride with him. He gets picked up by his friend. On days he has lacrosse you would have to stay with him until six because I work from seven to eight at the hospital." She info dumps as she sets my bed.

I peer out of my window, its the backyard, it's the worst backyard I've ever seen. My back yard had a trampoline and an outdoor pool Jason had helped build. There was a section where I had planted flowers because I had a mini garden in Texas and I wanted to replicate it. But Melissa and Scotts backyard looked disheveled. A broken down boat was in the grass, it looks as if its been there for ages, its apart of the ground forever now.

"Can I fix your backyard?" I interrupt her talk.

"My backyard?" she holds the pillow in her hand, looking through the window with me.

"I want to plant flowers for dad." I explain.

She looked at me and smiled.

"You can do whatever to our backyard." She pats my shoulder.

"Dinner at five, Im ordering take out. I hope that's okay.'

Dad used to cook, Jason used to grill. I've had take out probably twice in my life.

"Okay." I nod as she makes her way out of the room.

She puts her hand on the handle and takes one last look at me before she closes the door. I pull my phone out of my pocket, seeing the messages from Jason. I go and call him immediately.

"I made it." I say the second he answers.

'Im glad mija. I found an apartment near by you and I could drop off your dads car for when you get your license. Its a small town but there's a shop I can buy and make into a mechanic shop of my own."

Jason was a mechanic and he's always wanted his own shop. I've always wanted to see his dreams come true and I cant wait for him to be here.

"Im glad. When will this be? Next month?"

"I don't know I get my last paycheck in two weeks, then I have to put the down payment on the shop, but first I need to sell the house and put that money in a savings for you, use some to change the title of Javi's car into your name, put you on my car insurance and-"

"Hey, its okay. Leave the car stuff for last. I have everything I need for school so take your time, ill be okay." I cut him off.

"You're right. I didn't think he was going to leave this soon. I wish he told me he put Melissa first. Listen Im gonna go but call me everyday if you need."

"You can call me too. I love you."

"Te amo." the call ends.

I sit on the twin bed in the room, the one with Scotts old Pokémon bed sheets on them. The only other thing in the room was a wooden dresser. The walls where white with beige trim, it was wallpaper not painted. The ceiling was popcorned and the window has brown floor length curtains. My room was completely different. I had a whole wall of polaroid's with My dad and Jason. Posters line the other walls and drawings we have drawn.

it was around four when we arrived and now dinner is minutes away. Melissa was so nervous she had forgotten to show me the bathroom and everything else really. We pass the kitchen and living room on the way to this room, so those are clear but everything else is a mystery.

I played on my phone and a knock on my door broke my focus. I wanted to shower, I wanted to change, but I don't want to ask where anything is.

"Come in."

Melissa smiles, 'Silly me, The bathrooms right next to your room. Scotts room is directly in front of yours." She points to the door behind her.

"Mine is down the hall. Scott's running late, I'll come get you when he's here."

"Thank you."

"Oh and I called the principal. On Monday he'd like to meet with you during first period block, Scott can accompany you. Jason gave Beacons High information to your old high school so transcripts should be on the way."

"Thank you. "I say again this time with a small forced smile so I didn't look like a deranged teenager the entire time.

She leaves the door cracked open and heads down the hall, towards her room I assume. I walk to the boxes gathered in the corner of my room. There's about four boxes and a bunch of clothes in trash bags around them. I grab one bag and break it open a bit, seeing my dads big tees that I use as sleep shirts. I grab what I need, I find my underwear and body wash I packed.

The shower wasn't too bad, my house's shower head was broken so I bathed most of the time. Showering is my favorite and the water here was hotter than at my house, I loved it. On the way back from the bathroom, I peak the corner to see the dining table set. it had bowls of food and plates set up on the table. My stomach started growling as I smelled the mac n cheese.

I jumped a little as the front door opened, I slithered back into the room, closing the door with a small creak to peak.

"Thanks, I'll see ya later." He calls out, looking towards the driveway.

It was Scott. I close the door and lock it, I hope to just sit in bed until Melissa gets me. I think I would shit myself if I had to explain who I was, I'd rather have Melissa do that.