07

CONSTELATIONS

Music blasted in my ears as we carefully walked through the dark woods

Music blasted in my ears as we carefully walked through the dark woods. Allison and Scott split off and I was left with Stiles.
"I actually wanna be in the FBI." He continues, he's been speaking for a while now and even acknowledged that my music might be too loud for me to hear him.
However I am listening to him, even when my head phones were trying so hard to be noise canceling. I lowered the volume a bit to hear him more.
"Mysterious stress me out, I have to find out what's going to happen, where people are, why a killer kill, how and why a person disappears." He rants.
I push aside a low hanging branch sticking out from a bush and we stepped past, venturing deeper into the woods. Stiles' phone flashlight was doing very little to light up the way but we made do.
"Sometimes it feels like I don't know anything, like I feel so lost so doing all this helps- you know?" He glanced over at me.
"I like analytics - statistics of things. When everything's outcome is what it's supposed to be. What I love even more are anomalies- the other percent of things that had different outcomes, finding out why is something I love even more than anomalies." I reply.
He stops in his tracks and I pause my walk with him.
"I didn't know you were actually listening." His smile indicated that me responding was something he'd wanted- he wanted to have a conversation with me.
I have trouble with knowing when others want my input, it's why I barely speak unless spoken to. When is it my turn? Do I have a turn to speak? Will I ever know the right time?
"Statistics?" He tilts his head.
"It's been drilled out of my head by therapists but if I get into forensics or the FBI then it's a reason to-"
I pause and look for the right way to explain.
"It's a valid reason to obsess over the numbers."
"Therapists have tried to do a number on me too." He nodded, he begins to walk again shining the light into the distance.
"Why would you need a therapist?" I question, following close behind.
We hear a noise in the distance and he places his hand in front of me, both of us duck down behind the tree beside us. He quickly turned his flashlight off and I place my hand on his shoulder to steady myself.
"Fuck." He whispers and looks at me concerned.
"What?" I peek over to what he's glancing at and we see a bunch of flashlights and I can make out a police uniform on the guy headed straight for us.
"What are the chances that we run into my dad?" He smirks back at me.
"Oh one hundred percent." Every whisper was more quiet than the last.
"Found something!" A cop called out and suddenly we were in the spotlight of their flashlights.
We both spring up, our eyes wide staring at the officer. I grab onto his arm, pulling his back towards me slightly.
"Hang on! Hang on." One older deputy steps up and flashes their flight at Stiles and then to me.
"This little delinquent belongs to me."
We step out from behind the tree to be in full view, with the lights from the police I could see the broken down house behind them a few feet away.
"Hey- dad how are you doing?" He tries to play it cool, placing a hand on the tree.
"So do you- uh listen in to all of my phone calls?" He asks, stepping closer to us.
"No, no." He chuckled and then his face dropped.
"It was me- I told him we should come out here." The lie spilled out of my mouth, I just hope Allison and Scott had noticed them and left undetected.
"To do what? He wanted to find the dead body- I know my kid."
"I just wanted to be alone with him to- you know." I grab his arm tighter and smile.
"He's just always with Scott and-"
"Stop, just-" he looks at Stiles grossed out and waves us off.
"Go, take this young lady home and when I get home you and I will have a little conversation about something called invasion of privacy." He orders Stiles.
I pull on Stiles' arm as I turned around to get out of here.
"Bye dad!" He waved before fully turning around to walk back to his jeep.
He had a dumb smile on his face, as we carefully stumbled out of the woods.
"Can't believe you were just trying to get me alone." He shakes his head jokingly.
"Twenty five percent of teens in beacon hills go to these very woods to hook up especially at the tree stump nicknamed the Nemeton. Perfect place to have sex inside the creepy murderous woods huh?" I noticed my hand was still gripped onto his arm and I release it, seeing the street lights in the distance from where we came from.
"Where are the other hooking up? Asking for a friend."
"Forty percent hook up in their or their parents car. Another twenty go under the bleachers before school or after- some during school."
"Fifteen percent let me guess- parties?"
"Parties! Drunk and at parties and in some random persons room." I answer.
"I would like to give a disclaimer that no one really writes much about Beacon online so these analytics are purely based on observation and things I've heard the last week."
"Of course." We reach the empty road where his blue jeep was half parked on the grass and half parked on the road.
We lean against his car and a wave of silence began. My low music from the headphones dangled around my neck could be heard.
"Should we text Scott?" I look up at him as he stares into the sky.
"My phones dead." He pulls it out and shows the dead battery screen flashing.
I pull mine out and see the red bar on the far left of the battery icon. I see the notifications from Jason and Some texts from Scott. I quickly open Scott's and see his text.
"Saw the cops, we ran out made our way to Allison's car- headed to the vets." I read aloud.
"Why are they at the vets?"
I shrug in response and flash my screen at him as the screen went black and my phone died. A drop of water landed on the screen and I look up at the dark sky, here in Beacon you can see the stars and every little constellation can be seen clear as day.
"We should-" Stiles pushes off of the car as the slow pattern of rain begins to grow.
"Wait." I pull him back and let the rain drops dribble down my forehead.
I point at the sky where the brightest dot is.
"Venus is in morning star now." I look at him scan the sky and he looks back down at me with a smile, his hand grabbed mine and he pulled me back into him, his arms snaked around my waist- both of us slowly becoming drenched from the light rain as he hugged me from behind.
"Orion's actually my favorite." He brought attention to the brightest star collection as I found it in the sky.