04

JUST A DREAM

I was so tired and out of breath

I was so tired and out of breath. I looked at my hands and it felt as if I was not me. Where am I? I look up and it's dark outside, people are around me drinking alcohol and gathered around a bonfire.
"Hey, are you listening?" A hand on my shoulder turns me over to face them.
"I was wondering if we could... you know."
I scanned his face and have never seen him before.
"What?" It hurt to breathe I was forcing myself to inhale and exhale.
"Forget it, you're being fucking weird."
Something clicked.
"Wait." I stopped him, grabbing his arm and pulling him back towards me.
"Let's go somewhere quiet." I smile, our eyes locking.
"Somewhere quiet." He repeats as he nods.
He interlocks his hand with mine and leads me out into the woods, away from the bonfire party.
He looks at me again once we found a spot far enough. He was staring at me, waiting for what came next. I put my hands on his chest and found my way toward his neck.
"Do you think I'm hot?" I asked looking up at him.
"Fuck yeah, I think you're more than hot." His voice was lower than before as if he was trying to impress me with his slightly raspier tone.
"Prove it."
He leaned in to kiss me but I pulled back.
"No." I shake my head while my hands left his neck and touched his chest all the way down to his jeans.
"Undress yourself."
He grabs his shirt and lifts it to take it off, he maintains eye contact with me.
His shirt hit the floor, then his belt and then his jeans.
"Do you have a girlfriend?" I asked.
He was silent.
"What's her name?" I got closer and my hands cupped his cheeks.
His eyes glanced to my lips and then to my eyes.
"Lydia."
His hands made their way onto my waist and he ran his hands over my ass.
"Can you do something for me?" With every word I made sure to sound more and more seductive.
"Anything."
"Go back to the bonfire. Walk into it, don't move until you're burnt to a crisp." His face stayed the same, he was infatuated with me.
"Anything." He repeats, he lets go of me and marches the steps back toward the bonfire.
I follow behind slowly, moving around the other side of where we were closer to where people parked their cars.
I leaned on a random car and smiled with joy. He stopped in front of the fire, everyone confused and giggling while staring at him naked. He looks in my direction, our eyes lock and he smiles before he steps into the fire.
Everyone's terrified and a couple of guys try to get close to grab him, pull him away but he pushes them away while screaming and crying in pain. He throws himself onto the wood pieces and hugs them tight as the fire eats him alive.
I felt sick all of a sudden, of course I did. Is this a dream? I see his skin melt off and I gag, I hold the car and close my eyes, covering my mouth trying not to vomit.
I gag again and this time I can't hold it I open my eyes and roll over, throwing up all over my bedroom floor. I blink a couple of times confused about the dream I had. My pillow was thrown onto the floor half the sheet was hanging off the bed, my phone on the floor vibrating from the morning alarm. I wipe my mouth and sit up right. The door opens and Scott is there with an alarming look on his face.
"Are you okay? I heard you scream and then." He pointed to the vomit on the floor.
"I screamed?" I looked around still confused, sweat dripped form my forehead.
"Bad dream?" He questioned.
"A nightmare." I force my eyes close and them open them my vision becoming blurry and focusing again.
"What was it about?"
My mind goes blank. Scott gives me a concerned look.
"I'll go grab a mop and clean. Go ahead and shower, get ready for school." He instructs as he rushes off.
I get up and grab the clothes I laid out yesterday.
____
"We will allow you to take the rest of the classes you're qualified to take, here's Scott's classes if you want to be in any with him we can arrange that." The principal has been talking for a while but I felt shaky, I've been in and out of it ever since I woke up. I don't even remember how we got to school or even if I ate breakfast.
I looked down at the classes listen.
Chemistry
United States history
Lunch A
Study block
Astronomy
Physics
Lacrosse
"I looked up um." I sounded low so I cleared my throat.
"I looked up the classes you offer and wanted these." I pull my bag into my lap and slip a paper with a schedule I wrote out of my folder.
I handed it to him and he smiled at it.
"Wow."
"AP Calculus, AP Economics, Newspaper elective, AP Spanish 3."
"Mhm" I nod.
"You need a physical health class."
"I finished hope. If I have to do a sport I'm ok with lacrosse with Scott." I say.
"We can do that." He nods.
"Are you sure you're up for this? Your grades from your high-school prove you can but after a loss of a loved one it can be-"
"I can do it." I nod.
"Ok. Let me know if you need any changes ok. I'll give you Lunch A as well. Sit tight, I'll go and hand this to a counselor and come back with your schedule."
It was about thirty minutes I sat in the office, my mind was scrambled and I couldn't focus on anything I kept forgetting where I was. He walked back in with more papers, he handed me my schedule.
"You're all set, you have max language credits so we replaced that with study hall. Scott will show you around his teachers already know he'll be late for his classes today."
Chemistry Honors
Study Hall
Lunch A
AP Economics
Newspaper
Lacrosse