Chapter 4

June 8th

I woke up in the same lab room, but this time there weren't any doctors. I sat up to get a better look around.

The room was long and skinny with a counter on the wall I was facing. It had lots of various drawers and above was a bulletin board with many sheets of paper. Beside me was a small glass table with some medical-looking tools on it. The door was to my right. Everything was white or stainless steel and crazy clean.

I realized that I was wearing new clothes- stiff white cotton pyjamas. I wondered what they did with my old clothes.

Why the heck was I here?

Then I remembered what I had overheard. I was here so they could 'compare the differences between genetic modification at birth and genetic modification at age 13'.

*Shudder*.

I wondered where Fay, Lea, and Gloria were. I got out of bed to look for them and was surprised that I actually was able to. I thought that they would've chained me down or something. I didn't even have any IV cables or anything.

I saw a heart rate monitor beeping above the bed and didn't even stop to wonder how it worked without a cable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been wandering these halls for hours and haven't even seen a single person.

The whole place was completely white and it was like a maze. I knew for a fact that I wouldn't be able to find my way back to the lab that I woke up in.

I turned down a very wide hallway with a bunch of doors that ended in a dead end. I was about to turn around and go another way, but then I saw a room with a bunch of girls in it. It wasn't my friends, though, so I was too scared to go and talk to them. They were all probably around my age.

I stared through the window in awe as they did impossible things: Move things with their minds, shoot fire out of their hands... one girl even had wings!

I must be dreaming, I thought. There's no way this is real.

"Oh, but it is," said a voice behind me. I whirled around in fear to meet the strange person that read my thoughts. "Welcome. You're one of us now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That was not what I had wanted to hear. I wanted this to just be some awesome dream. Sure, I've always wished I had superpowers, but if someone messed with my genetic code to give me them, just, no way.

The man was middle aged, with grey hair although still looking young-ish. He seemed kind of friendly, but I was scared of him nonetheless.

He took me into a nearby room, where we sat down at a table. The room looked strangely like a small school cafeteria. Wha?

"This is the living wing of the Institute. There's dorms, this cafeteria, a game room, a pool, and a commons. Because you are all thirteen year old girls-" he smirked "-you each have a private bathroom. You new ones- the V2s- have a different dorm than the V1s. You also all seem to know each other, which is good."

I was mostly lost although starting to be less scared. "What do you mean by V2 and V1?"

"The V1s have been living here since birth. They're the girls you saw in the commons."

So that was the room I had seen. "Who are you?"

He smirked again. I don't know why. That's just what his smile looks like, I guess. "I'm Daryl Bennett. I'll be in charge if your training."