Chapter 25

"Where are we going?" asked Rose.

"It doesn't matter," responded Claire, "just as long as they don't follow."

Erica, who was sitting in the back, peered out the window. She gasped involuntarily. "That's a lot of them."

"How many?" demanded Trevor.

She quickly counted the black cars. "Five obvious ones, and about seven that may or may not be after us. So five to twelve."

"Let's just say that there's twelve," said Jess.

Trevor stepped on the gas and turned off onto a side street. "Anyone know their way around Bismarck?"

No one did, so he just kept on speeding through the side streets of residential Bismarck. Erica didn't know how they got into the residential area, but she was scared that they'd hit someone. And, of course, that they'd get captured.

She didn't fully understand what the black cars wanted with them, or why, or what they'd do with them, or how they're even the bad guys, but she'd read enough books to know that being chased by black cars was bad.

She glanced out the back window again and saw more unexpected and unwanted company. "Guys, police cars!"

A siren suddenly split the air.

"Yep," said Rose. "Those are police cars."

Claire and Trevor swore. "Get us the eff out of here, Trev," she demanded, although she said the actual word.

"I'm trying, I'm trying!"

"That way!" Jess yelled suddenly, pointing a back alley.

Trevor turned immediately, the side mirror hitting a fence. There was a snap as it broke off, and more swearing.

The alley lead to a busier road, onto which Trevor did another bad turn, almost hitting another car. It honked at him. Jess laughed scoffingly. "Like we care about you."

Almost proving Jess's point, Trevor went straight through a red light, a police car in pursuit.

"We could've hit someone!" cried Rose.

"Would you rather be caught?" argued Claire.

"We don't actually know what they'll do to us," Erica said matter-of-factly. "Maybe they'll give us cookies."

"Well, if they do give out free cookies, then Fay would be pretty happy. Assuming they're who took her," joked Jess, but it was forced. Even a single thought of Fay was enough to make them all sad and depressed. Which wasn't really that worse than the stress of trying to get away.

They were about to zip through another intersection when Rose screamed, "STOP!"

Trevor just kept going. He never even saw the beige minivan coming.