Chapter 12

June 10

I got shaken awake by an unknown Chinese man in a lab coat, mask, and rubber gloves.

"What? What the heck?! I'm awake, I'm awake!" I pushed him away from me and sat up. The same thing was happening to Fay and Gloria. Only Lea was left sleeping. Then a sharp pang of fear split through me as I realized I had just given sass to a man that could very well kill me. I scolded myself to be obedient... Or else.

He grabbed my hands, pulled me out of bed, and walked me out of the room, reminding me absurdly of a move that I learnt in a self defence course I took once where you twist someone's arm and push them onto their knees and they can't get up as long as you keep holding their arm.

I momentarily thought of doing that to this guy, but that would probably not end well.

He took me out of the area I was allowed in during free time and into the restricted zone. I wondered what the heck he was doing, but didn't want to ask in case he had a gun on him. Or a Tazer.

Finally he took me into a small room with a chair and a counter with lots of medical supplies on it. He pushed me into the chair and took out a syringe.

I start shaking. I remembered something Emily said at supper yesterday about weekly bloodwork.

I hate needles.

I just hate them.

And I had no idea what was in that syringe.

"Knock me out," I said, my voice shaky. I know, after all this, I'm scared of a needle? Well you know what? Deal with it.

The man looked at me uncomprehensively, needle in hand.

"Give me laughing gas or something. Or some sort of painkiller. Knock me out, then you can do what you want."

"Oh, laughing gas," he said in an accent. He reached over to the counter and picked up a mask. "You want this?"

I nodded. "Yes, please." Okay, I was scared of being under the influence of something, but I'd rather not know what they're doing to me. Ignorance is bliss.

He placed the mask on my face and I breathed in the fumes as the song Radioactive started playing in my head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up for the second time today in the dorm.

"Maddie?" asked a voice. I grunted. "You awake?"

"Yeah." I was too groggy to say anything else.

Fay came over and sat on my cot. "What did they do to you?" she asked, both concerned and curious.

"Uh... I asked them to knock me out so I didn't have to feel the needle." Now I was super tired.

"Oh. I didn't think of that." Fay showed me her arm. "I got it anyways, but I made it really hard for them!" she smiled weakly. I could imagine her thrashing around in that chair, screaming.

"Where's Lea and Gloria?"

"Oh, they're having breakfast. I wanted to sleep in and wait for you."

"And Amanda let you?" Remember, Amanda = employee who orders us around.

"Yep. C'mon. We should get going." She pulled me out of bed and towards the door. It was weird, Fay being the one to tell me to get going. I'm always the one dragging her away from stuff.

We went to the cafeteria, where we saw Gloria and Lea sitting at a table with Emily, Sophie, and Jamie. Me and Fay got our food- a bagel and a cup of milk- and went to join them.

They were talking and having fun and it was so normal I almost forgot that we were kidnapped.