Chapter 18

June 10

The van zoomed across the field and swerved onto a gravel road. Erica looked through the back window and saw the kidnapper's car following them.

She shuddered and opened the first aid pouch the girl had given her for her bike injuries.

"What's going on?!" Rose finally demanded. There wasn't actually a seat in the van for her, so she was sitting in the back, pressed up against the wall from the high speeds.

The girl twisted around in her seat. "That person back there wants to kidnap you. How can you not understand that?!"

"We understand that," said Erica. "But why?"

The girl sighed. "You're not going to believe me," she mumbled, sounding tired. It was a big difference than her snappy attitude from earlier.

"Try us," said Jess.

"Those people kidnap kids and experiment on them," she said. "When my sister was born, the doctors said that she had a heart condition and she needed to be brought to another facility. They took her away and we never saw her again. I was four at the time, and I was very adventurous. A few days later, when my mom was still recovering, I overheard a doctor talking with a strange man, and they were talking about my sister, Tessa. The strange man realized that I was there, so he grabbed me. The next thing I remember was walking up in an alleyway, a million miles from home. Eventually I found Trevor and from that point we stuck together."

Remember: All of this is happening during a high-speed car chase.

"So where are we going now?" Erica asked.

"We're going to shake our tail and go to our safe house," said the driver, presumably Trevor.