Chapter 24

The bathtub finally crashed onto the ground. After the initial smash, I ducked down and curled up into a ball.

Please let there not be anybody with guns. Please let there not be anybody with guns.

I was completely terrified. My palms were sweaty, my heart was pounding, blah blah blah. But the worst was my mind. I kept thinking up horrible deaths for us. Someone walking up to us and shooting us one by one. Or worse, torture. Watching my friends scream in pain and being helpless to do anything.

I'm not a fighter, I realized. I try to lay low instead of stepping up.

Unless no one else does.

All of us were crammed in that bathtub like sardines. Fay was whimpering, but Lea probably had on a brave face. Gloria... well, I've never really understood Gloria. She was similar to me, but not.

She also makes about as much sense as that statement.

Suddenly bright, white lights turned on. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to block out the burning rays.

I felt a shadow looming over us and stiffened. Was this one of the gunmen?

"Relax, girls," said a grandfatherly voice. "You can trust me."

That just made me trust him less.

"How do we know you're not here to perform more experiments on us?!" yelled Lea, voicing our exact thoughts.

The man laughed, dropping the grandfather act. "You don't." The sinister voice sent chills through me and I knew I couldn't run or hide.

I felt a sharp pain in my back and the sudden urge to fall asleep. I tried to fight it, but it was too strong. I fell asleep.