Chapter 30

I screamed and dropped to the ground. Pieces of drywall, wood, concrete, and sharp metal rained down on us. Blood steamed down my back and legs. I couldn't see anything. I breathed in the dust and choked.

Soon I was buried.

Then, a horrible silence.

I coughed dust out of my lungs, breaking the silence. The pressure of the rubble piled on top of me made it hard to breathe. I fought to get to my hands and knees. I coughed again and tried to speak, but it came out as a croak.

Someone spoke- one of the V1s, I'm not sure who- but I couldn't make out the words.

I was going to die here. The realization sunk in and chilled me to the bone. I was going to die. I was going to suffocate, or be crushed, or just bleed out. Yay.

Then the pressure lessened. I could open my eyes. I could breathe easier.

I looked up and saw the rubble floating above my head. What? Was I doing that?

I tried to stand up but collapsed in pain from my shredded legs. Sharp metal is bad for your health.

The rubble kept floating higher and higher. I could see the others now. All of the rubble in the room floated up and out into upper levels. I looked up and could see the sky through the layers of destroyed ceiling.

I turned my attention back to the room I was in. Everyone else looked just as amazed as I was. Except for the person standing in the middle, shaking with invisible energy.

Katie.

That's when I realized that it wasn't me doing this- I had forgotten the limits of my powers- but it was Katie.

She was sacrificing herself to save us.

I felt a tingling where the metal and other debris had cut me. I turned to look at my legs and was shocked to see the cuts visibly heal themselves.

My eyes were wet with tears. My face was most likely red. I watched as Katie fell to the ground, dead from the effort of saving us.

Dead.

I heard helicopters in the distance.